Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 11th October  (Read 1429 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 11th October
« on: Sunday 11 October 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
Been feeling quite fed up today. Last night I was reading in bed, in my book there's an Italian boy called Luca, it reminded me of when I visited the lovely town of Lucca in Tuscany four years ago. Then I was kept awake by thoughts of that lovely holiday and wondering when we'll be able to have such times again.

It seems very likely that where I live is going to be included in Tier 2 restrictions, in fact the whole area is likely to be. The nearest large town and the one across the river are already in local lockdown. That would mean that my recently found freedoms would be up the Swanee.

Couldn't be bothered doing much this morning, just spent a lot of time reading, eventually got in the shower and washed my hair. My walk would have to wait till after lunch.

It was about 1.30 when I went out, was cool and quite cloudy. Usual walk, did bits of it in a different order for a change. Felt slightly better for the walk but still couldn't be bothered with anything much. Messed about on the computer then went into the garden, trimmed some plants, tried to find more places for bulbs, I'd think I'd found somewhere then find that there were bulbs there already. Should look great in the spring, that seems such a long time away.

My friend A phoned,  asked how I was, unfortunately I got a bit tearful. We talked about the current situation, we would have made plans to meet for lunch but I don't think that will happen for a while. I was cheered by having a chat anyway.

Did some peri peri chicken for tea with roasted peppers and cherry tomatoes, jacket potato, cucumber and grated carrot. And a large glass of wine. And another later.

Watched the last episode of Us, have found it very entertaining. This week they walked through a square in Barcelona where I've been to a restaurant. Happy memories. The ending wasn't what I hoped for but I suppose that's a reflection of real life.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 11th October
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry you’ve had a down day today.... it’s coming to us all in one way or another the stark realisation that we’re going to be restricted again in the near future...I’m living in tenter hooks at the moment wondering if my daughter and family will be able to come and stay overnight next Saturday so we can celebrate OH’s birthday... am I going to have to cancel the meal I’ve organised that’s being cooked and delivered... it’s all so up in the air..
We just have to keep going with our diaries to cheer one another up!

My day
As it’s Sunday we read the papers.... not much of interest in them though...OH was playing in a golf competition starting mid morning so he was busy getting himself organised...
After he left I was just about to jump in the shower when my son in Oz Callled me on FaceTime... a lovely surprise but sorry OH wasn’t hear to chat to him too...well nearly two hours later we said goodbye... it was lovely to have him all to myself and we had a good chat... they’re both still busy with working and because DiL isn’t jetting off all over the country they’ve saved a great deal of money...the cat.. Squeaky, was sitting on his desk after walking up and down in front of the screen until she settled down purring away... he was tickling her under the chin and when he stopped she put her paw on his hand to carry on... so sweet... heavens knows what they’ll do when she goes... had her for 16 yrs now...
Ended up having a late shower and hair wash... nipped out to deliver village lottery money to same person as last week... then popped into our local coop for some milk...
Had quite a late lunch... a read for awhile in the conservatory.. then did some sewing...
OH home about 4.30 carried on sewing..
Dinner was roast chicken, pot, stuffing carrots broccoli and cauliflower...
Friend from up the lane popped round to take OH’s phone ( was daughters old one) to put a new battery in for him... only cost £20 and took him about 5 minutes to do... be interesting to see how it works as current one needed  constantly charging as kept running out... he’s put more powerful one in....
Watched some tv...
another day bites the dust...such interesting lives were leading at the moment!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 20 00:39 BST (UK) »
Watched a couple of episodes of The Great British Bake-off which was good as usual.
Watched the last couple of episodes of series 3 of “The a word” - an engaging series but went off the boil ever so slightly I think - odd pointless relationship breakdowns for a lot of the couples - lovely scenery in The Lake District.
Took dog for a walk. She was a good girl and didn’t bark at anyone.
Took washing off line which had been out a couple of days. (“don’t judge me”, as my daughter would say)  ;D
The fridge was bare, remembered a cauliflower I bought a couple of weeks ago - oops. Still in good condition so just made cauliflower cheese. Not my finest work.  :(

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 20 01:37 BST (UK) »
A much brighter day today after the gloomy/wet days of last week.  Lots of jobs I could have got on with but knitting took precedence (again).   Left home at 4.45pm to meet my sister at The Mermaid at 5pm.   We arrived at the same time.  We both decided on a carvery meal - meat of choice turkey.   Very nice it was too.   Glass of white wine for me, small cider for her, and then for dessert I chose Banoffee Pie only to be told they'd run out so had apple pie/custard instead.   My sister had a chocolate brownie thing.   She told me that she was paying as it had been her suggestion so that was a nice surprise.  She lives closer to the Mermaid than I do so afterwards we returned to hers and had a coffee.  Got home around 7.30 I guess.   

Brother in law doing well after knee op on Friday - I'd just assumed that my sister was able to visit him since they'd been in isolation together the week beforehand but no visitors allowed at all.   His leg is still numb but he's up and about (with help) and all being well will be coming home tomorrow.

Just knitting and tv this evening interspersed with a foray on the pc for Rootschat and Facebook. 

So a pleasant day for me but feeling quite tired now so hopefully a good nights sleep zzzzzzzzzz

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
More of the same for most of us, and a good idea to get a meal with your sister Annette, as I suspect that might be the last hurrah for a while.
Sorry you are feeling down Roobarb.  Can't say I blame you as, personally, I feel that I have NO control over my life at all anymore. Spoke to Number Two Son in Oz who is really fed up with the situation, and spoke to Number One Son in the evening who was also fairly hacked off, but thankfully everyone is well and they both still have work and can pay their bills.
On Sunday we made an exciting foray to the Willows shopping estate outside of Torquay to study the M&S men's slippers department. H chose a new pair as his old ones were disintegrating.  While we were there I bought a jumper and diary for next year, though it did occur to me it will only be used to record virus figures probably.
After lunch we walked along to Preston, but the beach front was packed end to end, where the heck had all those people appeared from, and what did they bring with them?  We had to go along the greens instead.  3 cruise ships still close in the Bay, and a couple of pairs of oyster catchers picking around the rocks amongst the gulls.  Perhaps a pair will return to the harbour soon.  I never feel I have had a wasted day if I can stand and watch oyster catchers for a while.
Thai dressed salmon for tea was delicious.
Good progress with the 3rd tree decoration for Oz.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 20 09:44 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse
The Willows, when I was in Teignmouth I wanted to go there, no M &S where we are now, nearest about 12 miles away, but because I was with my brother we had no time at all on our own, I do miss our M&S even just to wander around .

Ruskie
You made me chuckle about your washing out for so long, I have a friend who is very particular and a proper fuss pot, in fact very Victorian,  if pegs are left on the line or the whirly stays up I am "slovenly"  "that's me " I said,   the following week she left her washing out all night, it got drenched, I almost said "slovenly"  but held my tongue, but to be honest what do these things really matter, it is up to the individual

I do understand that as winter is approaching, bad enough normally but this year winter isn't welcome, prefer some really bright days, lets hope we have some but we all have to stay upbeat as much as we can, can't do much else really can we?, but we can keep in contact wit each other and keep the diary going which I have really enjoyed reading

Take care folks

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
LM, if I want it to rain I leave my washing on the line .... sadly it doesn’t always work, but I keep trying anyway.  ;D

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Sorry Roobarb, I think most careful individuals are in the same boat regarding missed special holidays and social occasions.

When the Hotels reopened, we took a risk and booked 8 nights in Derbyshire without cancellation insurance.

We took our own breakfast cereals/bowls and had all our midday meals out with a light tea in our room early evening and had already decided we would wear a mask in all public areas inside, entrance reception, stairs, lift and corridors of the Hotel at all times. Wearing a mask became a requirement by the Hotel.

There would be no service entering our room, so we put our bagged rubbish out daily and towel we wanted changing in the corridor, as agreed, which seemed to be collected really promptly and clean towel left bagged before we went out.

We had the last full week of sunny warm weather and went out each day ;D  ;D

Never heard from a Contact Tracer once  :)

I seem to be fortunate with weather, except when I'm doing my washing, like Ruskie.
 ----------
Who Do You Think You Are starts Monday evening.

I'm waiting for 2 more Yorkshire Will Bundle scans (now on extended delivery).

Take care, Mark

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
We stayed three nights in Christchurch recently , won't mention the chain y except to say there was no housekeeping at all, I did ask for clean towels every day, I also asked for an extra pillow which we did get, left on the floor outside our door not in a plastic wrapper, will never stay there again, then went on to a nice B & B in Teignmouth where we had housekeeping everyday and a double room with breakfast cost us less than the room only in Christchurch, 2 night reasonable but the last night  was nearly £100 room only

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London