Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 11th October  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 11th October
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, you always talk a lot of sense and I agree, there are so many who are worse off. I had a very safe and secure childhood but had my share of adversity in adult life which definitely had a long lasting effect on me. However, in more sensible moments I remind myself of what I always think - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Chicken and mushroom pie, mmm! M&S chicken pie - Mmmmmmmmm! I'll have to put these things out of my head.

I agree, the news does tend to be taken over by things that shouldn't be given such importance.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 October 20 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, she says hesitantly. I did pop in a week or so ago just to see what's happening.

I wanted to thank you all again for allowing me to read your diaries (was that a spelling from schooldays?).

OH and I did our 30 min walk this morning very early on and the weather was beautiful but a bit parky. Someone suggested that to change your walk can be beneficial and it was. In the porch of an old Georgian house nearby someone had created an Autumn/Halloween basket complete with pumpkin, leaves and dried flowers. I thought it would be a nice thing to do.

We do tend to read a lot and spend too much time on tablets, tv, etc but I can't seem to get motivated these days. I used to belong to an art group/class but there again, I haven't picked up a pencil or paint brush since before March.

My OH is also waiting to have laser treatment on his eyes too and he is not at all patient. He was told in August it would be Christmas at the earliest.

Both sons telephoned which was a pleasant surprise but it's strange that our d-i-l's never phone to chat. Maybe they just think it's their husband's family so it's up to them.

I currently find the TV programmes  are not interesting enough, however, through my local library I am able to access FindMyPast and Ancestry through their free library membership service.

I made a Victoria sponge in my new oven but I haven't quite grasped its slightly different symbols. The cooking temperature was obviously too high so it cooked too fast so came out slightly undercooked, if that makes sense?

Mowsehowse, when I was a child, aged about 6, together with my grannie, my aunt and my mum we stayed at The Redcliffe Hotel which I believe is on the edge of Preston Sands. I understand it is now for sale? The end of an era!

Good evening folks. It's lovely "talking" to you.
Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 October 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Ankerdine.....
Yes, even doing a circular walk in the opposite direction will offer a new perspective.....
Lovely you heard from your sons, probably their wives have their hands full phoning their parents?
Well done for testing out your new oven, even if it takes a little time to get the hang of. You could eat the cake with custard....
I remember moving into a new build, and several months later I went to roast a dinner and discovered the oven didn't work at all.... :-[  which was a bit of a disaster, over a holiday weekend!!
Yes, the Redcliffe is up for sale, in all its antiquated glory. It will be interesting to see what is planned by the future owners. 
We walked from Roundham Head, passing the pier and the Redcliffe, along to the other end of Preston Sands (almost where the gas tanks used to be,) and then back again of course.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 October 20 18:33 BST (UK) »
Well  first and foremost I  feel pretty inadequate when I read others’ diaries.
No one sets out to boast or make others feel inadequate ,it is I ,me  ,myself
who is self judgemental ,I know I could do better, the Manana mentality I  have  cultivated makes me think “it can wait”.
Partly to not get frustrated by things  I can’t do, like go and buy several items I need .Well is it really want!
It is all in my own mind.
I was born feeling guilty  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Many times I was on the verge of owning up to something I had not done, that  awful silence when the teacher  was waiting for the culprit to own up!
So keep it coming ,how interesting it would be to read the daily minutiae of
 Tudor life , and Restoration London during the plague ,the poor people’s lives.Not that we are poor really but we are not Landed Gentry.
So the diaries are a safety valve, a collective  account during one of the strangest times in our history.
I look forward to them.So thanks one and all.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 October 20 21:30 BST (UK) »
Judy, good to "talk" to you too. I always thought 'a bit parky' was a northern expression but perhaps not! Glad to hear you had an enjoyable walk.

Viktoria, there's absolutely nothing inadequate about you! I wonder if people will be reading our diaries in 400 years' time. I'll have to try and put a few shockers in to keep them entertained, not much opportunity to do that at the moment.  :D

By the way, I don't think you need any credit on your phone to be able to ring your network. Give it a go and you'll find out whether I'm right!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 07:23 BST (UK) »
QUOTE from Viktoria: "Well  first and foremost I  feel pretty inadequate when I read others’ diaries"  :-\ 
.... says the Lady who just finished painting her bathroom a lovely sunny shade of yellow!  Plus you always make me smile which is priceless.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:32 BST (UK) »
I agree with you Mowsehowse, she certainly is a character, she keeps me laughing along with other Rootschatters diaries and we can all do with a laugh

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:52 BST (UK) »
The diaries are important in so many different ways....
A collection of daily lives being lived in extraordinary times....
A sense of community within helping one another to not feel isolated in thoughts and a sounding board with virtual friends...
We are all very different in our approaches to life and that can be seen reading the entries here....
It’s so important to keep upbeat and Viktoria is one of those rare people who just seems to get right to the heart and say it how it is... I’ve great admiration for her and look forward to having a smile, sometimes a giggle or laugh at her sense of humour... long may it last.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
Trumpet fanfare !
I have sorted my phone out with T-mobile !
I fiddled around and found the star button would sort of isolate the numbers that interfered with putting my mobile number in.
It also says on my card that my  contract  ends 1/21.
Sooooo! In I waded , said it was disgraceful they had accepted £25 credit on Thursday 8th October!
Sorted in two minutes ,guess what amount of credit I have,  ::) ::) ::)
£92 ——-
I put thousands on when I went  to Spain  last October,but used very little .
So I will use it more,I could not see me getting used to a new one ready for my laser treatment on Tuesday to ask my son to pick me up.
He will take me but leave as it could be some time ,so I will need to be able to call him.
Not sure now however how this is affected by the new rules re Covid 19 ,
but the appointment is urgent as pressure still sky high .
He goes nowhere ,his wife does  the shopping ,but I must be certain.
I think as I need “ A responsible adult “ to take me home there will be another letter if that is not feasible .
Cheerio, thanks for your comments, you know, your interesting post do add considerably to my well being,allowing  me to be daft or funny depending on your viewpoint . ;D
Viktoria.