Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 11th October  (Read 1427 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 11th October
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 20 12:03 BST (UK) »
Louisa, we had to ask for an extra pillow each too  :)

We lost our very busy, profit making old established M & S. First M & S sold the premises to help an ailing new out of town M & S, then Leased our building back for a while, but still in profit at closure.

Do we go or drive 10 miles to the newish M & S - NO!

Mark

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
The nearest "new Town" has been thriving since the 1950's, but over the years we have lost Littlewoods, M &S ,  Homestores and Sainsbury's to name just a few, all now placed out of town if they are still  in business , it is really frustrating, it means our town established all those years ago is really struggling, even made worse by Covid

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
Our Debenhams looks empty, especially since Covid.

Towns and the local personal and social interaction  :)  :)  :) ... was already disappearing.

Mark

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for good wishes everyone, it does help to read the diary entries and I'm reminding myself to count my blessings.

Got my M&S tshirts and undies delivered but sadly they don't deliver groceries in my area.  :(  What I wouldn't give for an M&S chicken kiev, or a cheese scone, or ooh! some of those bramley apple hot cross buns! I could go on forever ...............

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 October 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
Oooh!, the calories!

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 October 20 13:53 BST (UK) »
We have a new shopping complex thats been around for about two years now and an absolute godsend with an M&S and lots of other lovely shops, built around lakes with a board walk just wonderful in the summer to sit out having a coffee after doing one of the many walks ...
I’ve not visited it since January but have heard that some shops already had to shut... Hobbs, Jigsaw and now of course Cineworld .... such a shame as our area had been crying out for this sort of place for the 40+ yrs we’ve  lived here...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 October 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for good wishes everyone, it does help to read the diary entries and I'm reminding myself to count my blessings.

Got my M&S tshirts and undies delivered but sadly they don't deliver groceries in my area.  :(  What I wouldn't give for an M&S chicken kiev, or a cheese scone, or ooh! some of those bramley apple hot cross buns! I could go on forever ...............

Hello All

A few goodies won't hurt some people as a very occasional treat, as long as we continue to keep active safely. Although my Doctor said my 6 biscuits with afternoon tea was too many, so I have reduced biscuits etc and reduced cholesterol with exercise.

Yes most of us are fortunate, most of us have water in the tap, somewhere to live and sleep, heating, food, fruits and vegetables and able to contact by 'phone or internet, despite current restrictions.

Spare a thought for the lady farmer with one acre to feed her family (featured on a documentary this Summer), but the family were out waving branches all day in the heat trying to stop a plague of locusts landing on her crop (her food/income). Their government were spraying the plagues from aircraft (they have to go inside as the spray is bad for health) but spraying was halted with Covid-19 stopping deliveries of spray.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_locust_infestation

It doesn't get a word on our news, but these locust plagues are huge and devour fields very quickly and off to the next farm!

keep safe, Mark

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Crikey.... it might do us good in the UK to hear more about this, and less about the US president.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
  • i
I feel for those who are getting rather despondent.
A lot depends on our make up, by that I mean our personal make up.
We are what we are ,we can modify if lucky but it begs the question - do those who had a secure ,safe childhood cope better than those who were not so fortunate.?
Or do those rather used to adversity and a general lack of security cope better?
Either way some need coping strategies ,and so far,- and excuse me if it has all passed me by - I have not really seen any such help on sayTV.
The weeks and months seem to fly by, not much achieved except our heads are still above water ,we worry about those whose incomes are now and shortly will suffer.
Those on pensions are lucky in that matter ,our pensions are fixed, ——?
Well we hope they are.
Sad to think we oldies will not see much if anything of our families.
Not as we imagined is it ,but we have had our time .
If someone promised that the use of mobile phones in public places ,public transport ,cafes ,would be banned if I would volunteer to trial a drug or two-
you would not see my heels for dust .!
The main thing I see in posts is how busy people are keeping ,that is such a good thing ,so positive.
Don’t be too hard on yourselves , a self administered pat on the back is so good , not arrogant ,just what is deserved.
Plod on plodding on !
Cheerio, off to freeze a batch of curry sauce ,
Chicken and mushroom pie for tea .
Tesco delivery tomorrow.
Laser treatment to eyes a week today.
Daughter phones for a couple of hours this evening ,so more news of Flash Harry.
Put some credit on my mobile but it keeps telling me I do not have enough credit to make calls .
Set about the procedure to contact them ,but have to press numbers they ask for( this on houseline ) so when mobile number is asked for those numbers stay on the screen ,so my mobile number is not recognised .
Another job for my son,I knew he would come in handy one day -when I  had him .
Cheerio.Viktoria.