Author Topic: Removing Halftone dots and patterns from photos  (Read 2161 times)

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
Removing Halftone dots and patterns from photos
« on: Monday 12 October 20 01:30 BST (UK) »
For those wanting to remove/suppress halftone dots and patterns from photos, I came across this free plugin (for photoshop users) with a tutorial on how to use it.

http://ft.rognemedia.no/

It does a reasonable job. Here's an example I tried with an image of my late father.

The only adjustment I made after using the plugin was to adjust the curves - to boost the dark and light tones and see how much of the patterning was removed.

NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Halftone dots and patterns from photos
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
I referenced it last Friday. I think you were on the thread.

In the olden days (i.e. 10 years or so ago) we used an FFT (fast fourier transform)  plugin filter to remove unwanted texture like this.  I've not go one anymore and can't seem to find one onlne. There must still be one available somewhere.

Found this

http://ft.rognemedia.no/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
Fast Fourier Transform programs are not new. We used them 10-15 years or more ago. (See some very early threads of this board)

It very much depends on the original scan. Ones with jpeg artifacts and other damage don't come up very well.

I see you still  have horizontal bands.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 20 13:16 BST (UK) »
Would wavelets do the trick?
It's a subject I looked into over 10 years ago, but decided I wasn't quite bright enough.
The old brain has atrophied more since then.

I used to get quite good results with photos scanned using Microsoft Photo Editor if I declared the image as type 'Magazine'.  Can't now get the program to save scanned images.  Is there a version for Windows XP still available for (free) download?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Fast Fourier Transform programs are not new. We used them 10-15 years or more ago. (See some very early threads of this board)

It very much depends on the original scan. Ones with jpeg artifacts and other damage don't come up very well.

I see you still  have horizontal bands.

Oops didn't read the entire thread.
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 20 14:18 BST (UK) »
I tried GIMP the other day and wasn't happy with the results and spent ages looking at MORE plugins designed to cure the problem, but, I tried again today and played with every filter to see what happened.
  Eventually I stumbled on applying 'Canvas' and then 'Gaussian Blur' and hey presto! all it needed then was adjusting Contrast.  What do you think?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 20 14:19 BST (UK) »

Oops didn't read the entire thread.

Don't worry - it's well worth discussing the various ways of getting rid of various patterns. Unfortunately none are fool proof. It's also best for such photos to have as little jpg compression as possible - or be scanned in a non-lossy format. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile