Author Topic: Removing Halftone dots and patterns from photos  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Halftone dots and patterns from photos
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
Just followed the instructions with th Arkengarth school pic. Hee's the result (smaller size).

It does remove the paterning but is too blurry for my liking. The quality of the original is very poor. It's worth trying it with a decent scan.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Applying the method to original image on 1st post

(It needs a bit of sharpening but no bands  :D  )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
I tried GIMP the other day and wasn't happy with the results and spent ages looking at MORE plugins designed to cure the problem, but, I tried again today and played with every filter to see what happened.
  Eventually I stumbled on applying 'WEAVE' and then 'Gaussian Blur' and hey presto! all it needed then was adjusting Contrast.  What do you think?

Don't have Gimp, so wasn't sure what the "weave" filter did until watching a quick vid - on it's normal use.

An interesting technique using it to help remove the halftone
Skin textures certainly looks smooth.
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
Just found this for anyone with PS:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/removing-newsprint-pattern-from-photos/td-p/7645875?page=1
Similar to what I tried too in the the Arkengarth school post. Also tried to combine it with the shadows highlights filter to force some detail back.
Tackling halftones is a difficult compromise, between trying to salvage detail and removing the pattern
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that ... I misremembered how I achieved the end result ... it wasn't WEAVE ... it was CANVAS.
On the soldier's picture it worked because the Canvas added to the Horizontal Pattern and seemed to then Blur very well with Selective Gaussian Blur. Then I increased Contrast and slightly Sharpened it.

HOWEVER.  I've just tried it with the Auchengarth School pic and because of the Angled Stripe the Canvas doesn't work.  Messed about with more tools but couldn't improve it, so I stopped.
cheers, Ian
PS.  GIMP is free and quite extensive with a trillion plug-ins available.  Big learning curve though.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
My next random thought is to Copy & Paste the Auchengarth School photo and Re-Align it with the Angle Stripes running Vertically then adding Canvas etc!
off to try it now.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Have now put it through another sharpening program in Nik collection.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
Just tried making the stripes run vertically and applying Canvas in GIMP then all the other processes but it doesn't work.  Perhaps the Canvas Weave does not line up well enough with the stripes.
Have a look at Gadget's pic of the school on the ArkengarthSchool thread.  The results are excellent even though it's a lot of work to have to go through ... My old school photos went on the school's website as copied from the local newspaper until former pupils dug out the originals from their attics and scanned them.     

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
Gadget, what is a NIK Collection?