Author Topic: Parentage and baptism records  (Read 1089 times)

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parentage and baptism records
« on: Monday 12 October 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
Opinions please - sorry for the long post. Trying to establish if my "thinking" is likely or wishful thinking re the parents of my 3x Great Grandmothers.
My 3x Great Grandparents were Harriet Brailsford (sometimes Brelsford) and Charles Hunter married 5th March 1833 in Washingborough, Lincolnshire, England.  On the parish marriage record Harriets parish listed as St Peter at Arches (nearby Lincoln town centre) but all the later census records give her birthplace as Washingborough c1815 so probably working in Lincoln as Washingborough only a couple of miles away.  I've traced the line forward to me and verified everything and the Hunter line going back seems ok so far - work in progress. My next task was to establish Harriets parents but I couldn't find a baptism in any of the normal sources.  I have been right through the Washingborough parish baptism records on Find My Past  from 1793 - 1836 with no sign of Harriet. However only 1 Brailsford / Brelsford family mentioned in those records with 4  Brailsford baptisms the parents all given as  Edward and Elizabeth - children were  Edward junior  1819, George 1820, Elizabeth 1825 and Charles 1828 (Edward senior died 1827 but possible Elizabeth was pregnant when he died. . .  The only marriage I can see between an Edward Brailsford and an Elizabeth is one in Dec 1812 in North Clifton  and Elizabeths maiden name is Tindal (poss Tindale) and on census records in Washingborough after Edwards death in 1827 she is listed as being born in South Clifton - there was no church in South Clifton so the North Clifton marriage seems correct.   There's a burial for an Elizabeth Brailsford in Washingborough in Aug 1868 age 77 and a burial in Lincoln in 1827 of husband Edward,  died in hospital according to the burial register. 2 of Edward senior  and Elizabeths children -  Edward junior and George, both  named a daughter Harriet and my Harriet named a daughter Elizabeth.  . Although there's no absolute proof, in your opinion how does my theory stand up to scrutiny that as there only seems to be one Brailsford / Brelsford family in Washingborough Harriet was the eldest child of Edward and Elizabeth and that she just wasn't baptised? Otherwise I'm not sure which direction to go in to establish Harriets parents.  Should I follow my gut feeling? Thanks all

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parentage and baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
A parish mentioned on a marriage record is NOT showing a place of birth, but the current parish (where the banns were read) of the bride or groom.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
I appreciate that, I posted that  her current parish was St Peter at Arches Lincoln but later census records show her birthplace as Washingborough

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
There is one baptised in Newark Notts which is just along the A46

County    Nottinghamshire
Place     Newark
Church name   St Mary
Register type     Unspecified
Baptism date    03 Jul 1814
Person forename    Harriet
Person sex    F
Father forename    Job
Mother forename    Alice
Father surname    BRAILSFORD
Person abode    Newark
Father occupation    Shoemaker
Transcribed by    John Turton

Census are secondary information, so if brought up or lived elsewhere they may not know where they were born and as already said parish on marriage cert doesn't mean they lived there, just registered 3 weeks prior to marriage
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
I think that one is still with her mother in 1841, she probably married in 1844
HO107 / 868
Book 2
Folio 27
Page 6
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking ilueah but afraid I agree with Rosie99 my Harriet married in 1833 so by 1841 she was a Hunter 

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 20 19:34 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for a baptism for Harriet under the surname TINDAL(E), in case she was born to Elizabeth before she married Edward? Just a suggestion.

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
Bookbox yes tried that and checked the North Clifton parish records as well, no joy