Author Topic: Photo of property  (Read 9565 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Photo of property
« on: Friday 26 August 05 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

can I take you up on your offer of a photo of a property in Brecon?

The address is 11 Silver St, Brecon St. Davids. My gggm was living there in 1881.

Priory Hill - I don't have a house number, but a photo of the area would be great.

There are also a couple of other addresses given on the census, but they are either rather vague or I cannot find them on a modern map. Perhaps you have the local knowledge to help?

Penylan in Brecon St Davids (1861) - this was the first property after "Baily Helyg". I found "Beili Helyg" on "old maps.com" and the next hamlet was Pen y Lan.

Back St, in Brecon St Davids (1871). This was the first house in the road, the previous properties being :
"Gwttws - a rope walk and spinning lodge at the head", followed by
"Back St - a house in ruins"
"Back St - a Welsh Wesleyan Chapel"
"Back St"

Many thanks,

D

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of property
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi D,

No problem  :)  . It may be a few days before I'm in brecon next so please be patient.

Regards

Andy
Names: Badman, Courtney, Davis, Fitton Greenslade,  Haytor, Hyde, Martin, Turner, Williams, Yates.
Places: Ainsworth, Pilkington ( Lancs) Henstridge (Somerset )

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 05 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thats great - theres no hurry at all. I've only just found out about the properties, so if they've been there since mid 1800s they'll be there for a while yet (under normal circumstances).

I'll let you know about Talgarth.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 05 20:52 BST (UK) »
Bad news I think about Silver street - It seems only 5 terraced houses remain which could date from the 1800's, on the right hand side of the photo. The telephone exchange seems to have been built in the 60/70's ahead on the rright, and on the left industrial units until the end of silver street. I will check next tiem I'm in the library, I know there are a lot of pics of brecon from the turn of the 20th century.

Better news with priory hill. I would imagine, exce[pt for some 50's housing poking out from a side street it is exactly as it would have been seen during a large part of victorian brecon. The right side has buttraced walls enclosing the cathederal, there seem to be a total of 14 houses on the left side. Off topic, I did find it interesting that some of the pavement is made up of tombstones, some full, some just pieces!!!......I don't know when the cathederal was built however.

I took 20 or 30 pics D, If you would like full size ones I can put them on a cd and post them or email you smaller files as I'm on dial up!!...pm me.

As for the other addresses, I'm still working on them.
Names: Badman, Courtney, Davis, Fitton Greenslade,  Haytor, Hyde, Martin, Turner, Williams, Yates.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 05 08:19 BST (UK) »
Excellent Andy,

have sent a PM.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Andy

I know this might be impossible but if you are in the area of LLANAFANFAWR, would it be possible to take a photo of ANY of these properties( is still standing), if not do not worry . Just curious to see where my relies lived.

VILLAGE OF PENTRELLWYNLLWYD, LLANAFANFAWR

CWMELLAW, LLANAFANFAWR

BRONEELLE, LLANAFANFAWR

CWMDEGLE, LLANAFANFAWR

LLWYNGWIN COTTAGE, LLANAFANFECHAN

sorry, not much info to go on, if its too much trouble , then don't bother with it  :-[

regards and thanks

Joanne  ;)
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne,

I can have a look, I do drive through those places ( or past the farms lol ) fairly often. It may be not fot a month or two atm because the council have closed a bridge at Tirabad which means I use another route currently......

:)

Regards
Andy

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi ANDY

Thanks no hurry i'll be patient,  ;D another one if poss tho' / :-[
TANBWLCH
best wishes
joanne
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenbest500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 January 06 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Jo
   Did your Williams live in Broncelle,Llanafanfawr? If they did my great,great grandparents William and  Elizabeth Williams lived at the next property 3 Llwynllwyd,Llanafanfawr.The property isn't there anymore got knocked down about 10 years ago, i think.Do you know if they are related?
                                                                                     Karen
Evans-Manchester & Derbyshire
Crellin-Manchester
Herbert- Lledrod, Abergwesyn, Treharris & Ebbw Vale
Hayfield- Derbyshire & Manchester
Williams-(Llanafanfawr) Breconshire
Critchley-(Altrincham) Cheshire
Bather-Lancashire
Ireland- Preston & Manchester
Hankey-Lancashire