Author Topic: Best Way to Colour Code Ancestry DNA Groups  (Read 1962 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way to Colour Code Ancestry DNA Groups
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
In answer to the question about distant relatives
Yes I started to list all children of my mums second cousin ....I get a bit fed up of the prolific JONES ROBERTS possibilities but one married a Cornthwaite. Out of interest I contacted a 8cm match with that surname the ggrandfather was born after the grandfather had died so isnt actually a blood Cornthwaite but weve proved that his ggrandmother was emma roberts daughter of Dorcas Jones sister of mums gfather Abiah JONES

It turned up interesting social history of welsh miners.

In the other direction distant matches can confirm your own 5x greats
Smallest match is 6cm which confirms 5x gfather Nimrod GARDNER  1756 did marry susanna roddis

I didnt see the point in having huge trees until dna and this kind of result

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 13:01 BST (UK) »

I didnt see the point in having huge trees until dna and this kind of result

Me neither. I only started looking at 1st and 2nd cousins to try and find DNA matches - and have found quite a few new matches. It is actually extremely interesting to do so as well - lots of emigrants to North America and Oz and NZ, as well as a few rogues. After reading comments on here about going even further back, I think I might start a whole new search for 6th cousins when the weather really closes in (got to tidy up my garden first). Of course, the further you go back, the fewer censuses etc you have to help you.

By the way, which clever dick thought up the idea of calling siblings of grandparents great uncles and aunts instead of grand uncles and aunts, so that siblings of great grandparents become 2nd great uncles and aunts and the whole thing going back looks like one generation earlier when it flipping well isn't!! It drives me mad - not to mention totally confused on a bad day. Perhaps its just me...
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
I agree with naming policies also wouldnt it be helpful if we used the swedish method with a different word for mothers father and fathers father

Morsmorsfars far is my great great grandfather but you can tell exact relationship.

Technical Help needed ...I emptied a surname colour group to give myself a spare colour and cant work out how to rename it and make a new location group

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
Open the colour code drop down box and click on the pencil sign to rename that group.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks jill its taken.me ages ..succeeded but now ancestry isnt letting me look at location matches ggrrr