Author Topic: Leonard John Lade: Blackburn, Lancs./London/Warbleton, Sussex  (Read 924 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Leonard John Lade: Blackburn, Lancs./London/Warbleton, Sussex
« on: Monday 12 October 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
I have not been able to find Leonard John Lade, b. Dec Q, 1880. Blackburn, Lancs. (I do not have the birth certificate) after 1891.
In 1891 I found young Leonard, age 10, living with his grandparents in Warbleton, Sussex, b. Blackburn, Lincolnshire (sic), but obviously a mistake for Lancashire.  His grandparents were Tilden and Mary Ann (Kemp) Lade, proud parents of 14 children (12 boys, 2 girls), their younger ones with them and including one older son, John, 29, who was absent in 1881. 
Going backwards, I found a Leonard Lade, age 5 months, b. Blackburn, Lancs., living in Regents Park, Marylebone with mother Mary, 21, b. Fairlight, Sussex.  She is listed as married, also Lade.
Leonard's registration includes MMN as FRANCIS.
I found no Lade/Mary Francis marriage.
I believe she is actually Mary Ann Georgiana Francis b. Ore (near Fairlight), Sussex Mar 1860, daughter of Joseph Francis and his wife Sophia (Easton).  Mary later marries Edward Marchant in Hastings district, and has several children with him.
There is a John Lade employed at the Euston Hotel in Marylebone in 1881, age 21, b. Warbleton, Sussex (matches mine) living in, waiter, possibly lied about his age to get the job, he was only 19. Listed as single. 
As far as I can tell from a map of London, Euston Square Hotel (if it is the same) is not far from Regents Park.
The connection with Blackburn is another mystery!

I cannot find Leonard (or John for that matter) after 1891.  I have checked censuses, military, immigration, Canada and US censuses, etc.

South Africa might be a possibility as one of John's brothers was there over the years but ended up in Canada.

Any help appreciated!

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard John Lade: Blackburn, Lancs./London/Warbleton, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add that I have also looked for Leonard as FRANCIS or MARCHANT, but no joy there either.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
I think it may be a good idea to obtain the birth certificate - you can order a PDF copy from the General Register Office for £7 (as opposed to a paper copy for £11).

On Lancs BMD Leonard's birth is shown as registered in the Witton area of Blackburn - and as you say - mother's maiden name is Francis. Hence a father's name must have also been shown.

I could not see a baptism in Blackburn. No other Lade children seem to have been born there around that time.

It would be interesting to see if there is an address on the birth certificate (although it might just be a mother and baby home). At the moment I am struggling to find any later records for him after 1891. It's an unusual surname and could be mistranscribed of course.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
John Lade b Sussex was the son of Tilden & Mary Ann and was on the 1891 entry. I agree with Pennines that you need the 1880 birth cert to establish his fathers name.

Mary shows herself as married on the 1881 entry but if she did marry Marchant in 1885 she married as Francis - not Lade
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
There is a Leonard Lade bn c1880 going to Canada in 1900 with a John Lade age 35
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2QST-JZR
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:41 BST (UK) »
At this point, am not overly concerned about the birth certificate.  There "conceivably" only two sons of Tilden and Mary who would be his father - their eldest son Philemon and John.  Next in line was George, only 14 when Leonard would have been conceived.  Philemon was married, living in Hailsham, Sussex in 1881, and while this does not entirely rule him out, John's being in Marylebone where Mary Francis "Lade" was in 1891, makes me think he is the likely one.  I know he is the grandson of Tilden and Mary, so am happy with that for now.
I am pretty sure John and Mary (Francis) never married, so makes sense she married as Francis.
The scenario seems likely to be she decided John could take care of Leonard, or his parents could, and quite possibly, Edward Marchant was not keen on taking on her son born to another man.

Of course, though, anything is possible! Happy to consider all ideas. (Also did not find Leonard on Lancashire Parish Clerks, or any London baptismal records).

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
There is a Leonard Lade bn c1880 going to Canada in 1900 with a John Lade age 35
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2QST-JZR

Thank you for this, Rosie!  I have not been able to access FamilySearch, problems with my password, but it sent me right there when I clicked on the link.
It looks like it might be John and Leonard.  As I mentioned, I did not find them on the North American censuses, but I will have another look.  As someone mentioned, there could be mistranscriptions as it is a rare name (apparently most found around Kent/E.Sussex and might be a variation on Ladd).

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
What a great find Rosie.

Leonard Lade is on the 1901 Canadian census - shown as age 19, but with a birth date of 6 October 1871!! -- It shows he arrived Canada in 1900. He is a Lodger in Algoma? Ontario.

Added -- I suggested the birth cert not only for father's name - but to find who lived at the address in 1881 - just in case it gave a clue.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks,  just found Leonard in Algoma in 1901.  I think it might be him.  I lost the post I made, sometimes the technology gets to me  :).
Might be a good idea to get the birth certificate for that reason.  Will add to my list (long).
Haven't looked up the history of Algoma, but know it was a mining town, aluminum?  They were likely recruiting men in England and other places to emigrate and work there.