Author Topic: Leonard John Lade: Blackburn, Lancs./London/Warbleton, Sussex  (Read 925 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard John Lade: Blackburn, Lancs./London/Warbleton, Sussex
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
Diana - I'm afraid I can't read his occupation -- you may be able to. No other 'Lade' at that address.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
Where does he fit in with your tree  :-\.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Leonard is a distant cousin.  DNA revealed my grandfather to be one of three Booth brothers from Warbleton, Sussex.  I have been working on the extended Booth family, to which Tilden Lade belongs. I may also be connected to Tilden’s wife, a Kemp. 
Many of these families are huge, so lots to be researched! My father’s urban northern lines are less populated, smaller families and higher infant mortality.
Tilden and Mary Ann lost just one child in early childhood, almost certainly one of a set of twins.  0n the 1911, although Mary A. Had died, Tilden wrote in 14 children, 11 living. I have accounted for two deaths.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
Diana - I'm afraid I can't read his occupation -- you may be able to. No other 'Lade' at that address.

I think it says “section man”.  Miners probably worked in sections?  Maybe that’s how they referred to ordinary miners.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 October 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
I can't find him anywhere else! Checked both Canada and, in case he crossed the border, -- USA records. Please let me know if you do find him later - it's very frustrating when that happens.

(Funnily enough I am going to Specsavers on Wednesday!!)
Places of interest;

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, 

I was curious as I have distant connections to Joseph Francis the brother of Mary.   ;D    A few years ago I visited Ore trying to locate Rose Cottage as my grandmother had mentioned it in her 'ramblings' 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
On Lancs BMD Leonard's birth is shown as registered in the Witton area of Blackburn - and as you say - mother's maiden name is Francis. Hence a father's name must have also been shown.

A dangerous assumption - the inclusion of a maiden name doesn't always mean father's name is on the register, it just means the mother is (or has been) married at some time. It would normally be a married couple but there are other possibilities  -  it could be a birth to a widow with no father named for example.

I know the Witton area of Blackburn well - have connections in my own family there.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 13:39 BST (UK) »
Antony - you are quite right. I must admit I hadn't thought of those possibilties for a different surname and a mother's maiden name being shown on a birth certificate.

Diana - I apologise sincerely if I have mis-led you into thinking as I did - and that a father's name would be definitely shown on that birth certificate.

Antony - by coincidence  I know the Witton area of Blackburn as well - I actually live in it!
Places of interest;

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Antony is right, of course.  I considered that possibility in this case, but feel that with the other evidence I believe that the parents were unmarried but pretended to be when Leonard was registered. 
I will order Leonard’s birth certificate, it may be awhile, I find the process on gov.uk to be clunky and irritating so I generally wait and order a large batch at once.  I will post the info when I get it.
Pennines, I do not feel you misled me, I knew what you meant.  Have been at this game for a long time, so know there are many variations on a theme.  And of course, I forget things too.
Just started working on Albert Lade, the uncle who went to South Africa but ended up in Canada; he also returned to England for awhile.  He died a year after the Ontario death records end on Anc.  Think they will add that year in 2021.  He might have been involved in mining too, but I can’t quite read his occupation on the ship’s list.