Author Topic: Leonard John Lade: Blackburn, Lancs./London/Warbleton, Sussex  (Read 910 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard John Lade: Blackburn, Lancs./London/Warbleton, Sussex
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, 

I was curious as I have distant connections to Joseph Francis the brother of Mary.   ;D    A few years ago I visited Ore trying to locate Rose Cottage as my grandmother had mentioned it in her 'ramblings'

That’s quite a coincidence! Some days I feel as though I’m connected to everyone in E. Sussex and it’s only half my ancestry.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 October 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I have received Leonard's birth certificate.  Ordered the PDF on Sunday morning, less than 4 full days and it is in my in-box  :D.
Here are the details: Leonard John Lade, b 6 Oct 1880, father John Lade, footman, Mother Mary Ann Georgina Lade, formerly FRANCIS.  Mary Ann was the informant, as M.A.G. Lade.  Baby was born at 4 Witton Village, Witton, and this was given as Mary's address as well.
This birthdate matches the one on the 1901 Canadian census, at least the day does. 
I have been expanding my information on Leonard's many Lade aunts and uncles an cousins.  The obituary of one uncle (Joseph) mentioned he had visited his brother in Canada four years previously and had been ill ever since!  This brother must have been Albert Lade who settled in Brooklin, ON after living for many years in South Africa. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 October 20 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting the details from Leonards birth, there is no doubt you have the correct Mary Ann with all her names mentioned.  I wonder what she was doing 'up north'  probably working.  :)   Her brother Josephs wife had moved down from Lincoln with her parents /siblings.

I think I need to look into the Francis family a bit more. in the coming months.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 October 20 20:05 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome, Rosie.  Thinking Mary might have realized she was pregnant and followed John up north? We'll likely never know!
I found someone's family group sheet online that might indicate John returned to England and died in Sussex.  Will be following that up.
Wishing you success on the Francis branch.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 October 20 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping the inhabitants of the address where the baby was born may give some clue as to why Mary was in Lancashire at the time of the birth.

Sadly they don't appear to do so. The only time 'Witton Village' appears as a thoroughfare seems to be in 1881. (Unless someone else finds it elsewhere).

In 1881 there was a 'normal' family living there, all born in that area ,or an adjacent township.

Alexander Calder aged 39 born Blackburn - an Overlooker at a Cotton Mill
Margaret wife - aged 50? born Samlesbury
William aged 18 born Hoghton
Lucy aged 12 born Witton
Mark aged 3 born Witton

In 1871 this family were in Salford - birth places slightly different, but still local to the Witton area of Blackburn.

Sorry that doesn't provide any information as to why Mary was where she was in 1880. At least you know for sure she was 'claiming' to be married to John Lade at the time of the birth.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 October 20 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for checking that, Pennines.  I made a stab at it earlier but didn’t find that.  I just checked the baptism for young Mark Calder, on Lancs Parish Clerks, hoping for a specific address, it was there, but just said Witton.  Nothing for his sister Lucy.
You mentioned you live in Witton.  Do you know of any place in the area where John might have been employed as a footman?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 October 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
There were some large houses in that area Diana. The nearest was Griffin Lodge on Cavendish Place - literally a stones throw away. A family named Dugdale lived there - both the father and a son became a Mayor of the town and also built and ran Griffin Mill in the Witton area.

Also off the top of my head;
Pleasington New Hall
Pleasington Old Hall
Feniscowles Hall
Cherry Tree House

I am sure there were others -- I just can't think of them at the moment. (It's too late over here for my aging brain!)

You may find information about these establishments on either;
http://www.cottontown.org

or

http://www.blackburnpast.com/

Both have a search facility. However -- I find it hard to believe that John would come so far to be a Footman -- it's a mystery really - and of course it may have been a different family in the house 4, Witton Village - when Mary was seemingly there.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 October 20 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Diana - just to add what I said last night - although this is complete 'up in the air' speculation --- on the 1881 cenus the Enumerator seems to have gone from Broomfield Place into Witton Village - then to Spring Lane.

Both Broomfield Place and Spring Lane still exist. Broomfield Place is a short street of terraced houses -- Spring Lane is a longish road.

If you want to look at Google Maps - input Broomfield Place, Blackburn. Face AWAY from the main road and go down the street towards a largish house facing the street - behind that house are the grounds of Griffin Lodge.

In addition - Spring Lane - is lower down the main road from Broomfield Place - so if you turn right at the end of Broomfield Place in front of the large house (now an Undertakers!!)  -- that demolished area MAY have been Witton Village thoroughfare.

From Spring Lane you can see the front of the grounds of Griffin Lodge on the left -- again driving AWAY from the main road.

Adam Dugdale born c 1834 was living in Griffin Lodge with several live in servants -- but no Footman.

But even if John wasn't Footman there -- that is the area where the couple's baby was born.
Places of interest;

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 October 20 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help and the extra information, Pennines!  It really adds to the story and the mystery.  John was working as a waiter in London in a hotel in 1881 so perhaps not so much of a stretch as he had worked as a footman?  Wondering if the two of them ran away, they were both a bit young, he was underage, hoping to make it to Gretna Green? 
Perhaps he had a "pleasing appearance" and the height to be hired on as a footman - and maybe his Sussex accent seemed exotic in Witton?  No idea, anything is possible :).  As far as I know there were no connections to his family in that area, not sure about Mary's.
Coincidentally, I have a Dugdale ancestor, Ellen Dugdale, who married Elijah Dixon.  She was b. 1796, Rough Lee, Lancs., and ended up up Burnley.