Author Topic: England - Prime Minister / Downing Street Today, TV at 7pm  (Read 1995 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
England - Prime Minister / Downing Street Today, TV at 7pm
« on: Monday 12 October 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello

The Prime Minister on TV at 7pm this Evening.

Three Tiers for England.

I missed the Scientific Briefing this Morning.

Mark

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: England - Prime Minister / Downing Street Today, TV at 7pm
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
I found the briefing this morning very informative - but then I've always appreciated Jonathan Van Tam's clear, simple, no-nonsense explanations. He doesn't sugar-coat anything but I'm someone who feels better for knowing the facts however gloomy they are. That's why I can't bear to listen to Boris's wiffle-waffle which says very little.

It's available on YouTube

Pat

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:17 BST (UK) »
I may be dense but what has really changed apart from every local authority now being categorised into one of three tiers. Each tier has a set of restrictions but these are the minimum - the local authority can add extra restrictions if they see fit. So the claim that the three tier system adds clarity to what is and what is not allowed breaks down straight away.
I am in an area which is classified as medium (lowest level). We have only the national restrictions - rule of 6 etc introduced on 14 September.
In  the week 3 - 9 Oct inc there were 62 cases per 100,000 people - the average is supposed to be 77 per 100,000. The latest figure I have found of 7-day daily average (on 8 Oct) in my area is 11 cases per day. That is over three weeks  after the rule of 6 was introduced. On the 14th September the 7 day average was 3 cases. So with just over three weeks of the latest restrictions, the number of cases in my area has more than trebled.
Like most areas of England, we are set to continue with the same basic restrictions, I fail to see how just continuing as we are is going to reduce the number new infections per day in the medium areas.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
I may be dense but what has really changed apart from every local authority now being categorised into one of three tiers. Each tier has a set of restrictions but these are the minimum - the local authority can add extra restrictions if they see fit. So the claim that the three tier system adds clarity to what is and what is not allowed breaks down straight away.
I am in an area which is classified as medium (lowest level). We have only the national restrictions - rule of 6 etc introduced on 14 September.
In  the week 3 - 9 Oct inc there were 62 cases per 100,000 people - the average is supposed to be 77 per 100,000. The latest figure I have found of 7-day daily average (on 8 Oct) in my area is 11 cases per day. That is over three weeks  after the rule of 6 was introduced. On the 14th September the 7 day average was 3 cases. So with just over three weeks of the latest restrictions, the number of cases in my area has more than trebled.
Like most areas of England, we are set to continue with the same basic restrictions, I fail to see how just continuing as we are is going to reduce the number new infections per day in the medium areas.

Unfortunately, (according to French Radio International in mid / end of August 2020) some of their early Second Wave cases in mid August 2020 were Positive without any symptons, which our England Scientists had warned us about quite early on when saying Covid-19 was also an 'asymptomatic' illness.

Professor Whitty said at the 7pm England Briefing yesterday that Tier 3 (very high alert) was only a base minimum and already known that many in Tier 3 will need tighter and tougher Local Restrictions from Local Public Health.

Seems some places have refused Tier 3?

The government Scientific advice is there for us all to see Professors Whitty; Van Tam etc. The most basic being Hands, Face, Space.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 11:17 BST (UK) »

I agree with you, it just seems to me that the same rules have been repackaged into a tier system!

That's why I can't bear to listen to Boris's wiffle-waffle which says very little.

I also hate watching and listening to his wiffle-waffle, so I think I must of missed the criteria for moving between the tiers, which I assumed would be the whole point of having a tier system!  Is it 100, 200, 500 cases per 100,000, having an L in your towns name or is there no criteria!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
And cases are rising everywhere, many I've looked at in the lowest tier are threefold rises in a fortnight. No change in restrictions for them means no change in the rate of increase. 

And is there anything to stop people from the areas in "high" or "very high" tiers travelling to a "medium" tier area for a holiday, day trip, pub crawl etc?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
What is the point of having scientific advisors? It has been disclosed today that SAGE warned 3 weeks ago that cases were rising and that we needed a short, sharp lockdown plus other interventions. It stated

"The more rapidly these interventions are put in place the greater the reduction in Covid-related deaths and the quicker they can be eased. Not acting now to reduce cases will result in a very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences."

So what did the government do - ignored it and introduced a rule of 6, plus allowing universities to go back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54514387
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
I live in a borough that is in the Liverpool City area, mind you we didn’t know we were in Liverpool City region as we’d never heard it before! If they’d said Merseyside we’d have understood and we are Tier 3 the highest level. Of the 6 boroughs 2 do have high numbers but there are quite a number of other areas who have higher numbers than the other boroughs but they’re still in Tier 2. It doesn’t make sense.

As for finding a list of the new rules well I’ve not achieved it yet. From what I can gather I can do my own shopping and go for a walk but that’s it so it’ll be back, almost, to how it was when I was under the shielded regulations. And no idea of time is given.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile