Author Topic: Joseph Saberton Saberton's will  (Read 2296 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Saberton Saberton's will
« on: Monday 12 October 20 22:50 BST (UK) »
I unearthed this will on Ancestry:

Joseph Saberton Saberton Esq
 in the England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858

where the several pages of images for this will may be found. I'm in the process of trying to transcribe it as there would seem to be references to one of Joseph's grandchildren within, and there was a court case in respect of bequests to a wife or wives that has a bearing on the will. I've barely started before I've hit problems with some of the writing. I've attached an image with the difficult words and phrases highlighted if anyone would like to have a go at suggesting what they might actually say. Given the sheer length of this document, I might be on this thread asking for help for some time ...  ;D

Two of the places mentioned in the clip are Langwood Fen and Block Fen, identified from maps of Chatteris, but I'm not sure of what follows Witcham, I've not been able to get any help from early maps.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Saberton Saberton's will
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 20 22:59 BST (UK) »

He seems to have a fixation on  "Annual Sum or Yearly Rent" plus other hard to read items.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 20 23:01 BST (UK) »
The last one is "annual sums or yearly costs", although I'm not sure if the last word is costs. Could it be rents?
The other 2 phrases:
"out annual sum or yearly cost"
"annual sum or yearly cost".
I see barryd thinks the last word in each phrase is rent.
Is the single word which neither Barry nor I can decipher be a name of a person or place?
Cowban

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 20 23:04 BST (UK) »
I wasn't sure if it was rent or costs, or even casts. Looking more closely at the letters e and n in other more easily distinguishable words, I think it is rent. The single word is a place, starting, I think with the letter N, so could be Nedlands, but I can't find anything of that name on the earliest maps on NLS
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 04:30 BST (UK) »
I wasn't sure if it was rent or costs, or even casts. Looking more closely at the letters e and n in other more easily distinguishable words, I think it is rent. The single word is a place, starting, I think with the letter N, so could be Nedlands, but I can't find anything of that name on the earliest maps on NLS

This is:  Witcham Medlands

The single word is:  charged

Finally, rent/rents is correct.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help so far. Now for part 2  :). I think the first highlighted word is "eleventh". However, when all the three preceding dates are on the sixth of a month, why should the last annual payment be on the eleventh? I can't make out entirely the next highlighted area. The next highlighted phrase is, I think "on such". The next phrase is "???? and distress" but the first word eludes me, and what exactly are the powers that he is calling upon? Does distress have a specific legal meaning in this context? The final word could be "law" or possibly "lease"?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
I think eleventh is right.
"deductions".
Next is "on such".
"entry & distress"
Looks like "lease".
I think that entry & distress is allowing his wife to enter his rented properties
to recover debt.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
Just re-reading the words before lease. Are they "recovered by", or "reserved by"?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 12:59 BST (UK) »
recovered.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/