Author Topic: Joseph Saberton Saberton's will  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Saberton Saberton's will
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 13:14 BST (UK) »
Just re-reading the words before lease. Are they "recovered by", or "reserved by"?

... for recovering rents received by lease

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 October 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Part 3  ;D Ideas as to the two highlighted words, please. Could the first be dower? and the second freebench? On the basis that the will is here referring to Joesph's estate:

Dower - A wife’s interest in her husband’s property, inheritable at his death. English probate law set this at 1/3.

Free-bench - a legal term referring to an ancient manorial custom whereby a widow, until she remarried, could retain tenure of a part (or sometimes the whole) of her late husband’s land. This was not as a dower but a free right, independent of the will of the husband. Called ‘bench’ because, upon acceding to the estate, she becomes a tenant of the Manor, and has the right and duty to sit on the bench as one of the pares curiæ - Peers of the Court. The peers formed a jury or homage for the dispensing of feudal justice including trial of their fellow-tenants for misdemeanors. The widow was usually allowed her free-bench so long as she preserved her chastity but if any evidence appeared against her, or she declared an intention of remarrying, she had to forfeit her lands. The rights to free-bench varied according to local manorial custom.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
Part 3  ;D Ideas as to the two highlighted words, please. Could the first be dower? and the second freebench? On the basis that the will is here referring to Joesph's estate:

I agree with your readings here.

Just re-reading the words before lease. Are they "recovered by", or "reserved by"?

Definitely reserved by, in my opinion.  I can't agree with Bookbox - to be received, the third letter should be a straight vertical, as it is in recovering.  Instead it is a curved letter, which matches the fourth letter of lease.

Then if you look at the letter before the v, while the r and i have a similar shape in this hand, the r is a bit more so, while the i is dotted.  This one is more so, and it isn't dotted.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 October 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Ok, so now for the next one. In the attached clip there is are two references to "my allotments of ? enclosed lands". But what is the word before enclosed?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 October 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
...new enclosed ^land^...

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 October 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
Definitely reserved by, in my opinion.  I can't agree with Bookbox - to be received, the third letter should be a straight vertical, as it is in recovering.  Instead it is a curved letter, which matches the fourth letter of lease.

After a closer look I have to agree. Makes much better sense, in any case.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 October 20 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for your help do far. The first 57 lines of page 1 done  :) just 4 and a bit more pages to do! Hopefully, thanks to the help received so far it will get easier.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 October 20 23:38 BST (UK) »
And just as I though things were getting easier  ::) My take on this bit is as follows:

1.   my said wife and Charles Culledge of March in the said Isle of Ely Surgeon and
2.   apothecary and William Warth of Chatteris aforesaid Miller their heirs and
3.   assigns for ever but upon and for the trusts [____] and purposes and with
4.   under and subject to the powers provisions and declarations hereinafter [declared]
5.   and [contained] of and [_____] the same (that is to say) upon trust that they
6.   my said wife and the said Charles Culledge and William Warth and the sur-
7.   vivors and survivor of them and the heirs of such survivor and their her or

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 October 20 01:19 BST (UK) »
intails

declared

contained of and concerning

it's that tricky 'c' which our modern day eye always reads as an 'r'!  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs