Author Topic: Diary > Monday 12th October  (Read 770 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 12th October
« on: Tuesday 13 October 20 00:04 BST (UK) »
A wet day as forecast. My friend J sent a message to say she couldn't do a walk on Tuesday this week but could do today or Thursday. I said I could do either but a lot of rain forecast today, we agreed to do Thursday when the forecast is better.

Did a few things around the house after reading the news, had a sandwich for lunch. It seemed to have stopped raining so I left the kitchen in a mess, put my jacket on and went out. It was dry for about thirty seconds then the rain started again but it was light. I don't like wearing a hood, they make me a bit claustrophobic. Will have to get my woolly hat out. It did stop raining while I was out.  Enjoyed the walk, spent more time on the walkways today, some parts of the field are muddy.

Came home and cleaned up the kitchen, tidied away some art materials that had been lying around. Cooked some fresh rhubarb. Some more general housework then phoned my oldest friend (oldest in age), he's 85 but still has an impish sense of humour. We've always got on well and had a laugh despite the big difference in years.

Ordered some sweatshirts, a jumper and some socks from Matalan, I've had so many socks going into holes lately. Delivery in seven to ten days, when I got the confirmation it said expected delivery date is 26th. When I reread the terms it refers to working days. Will I be sockless by then?

Did some ironing while watching A Place in the Sun. Salmon for tea. Rhubarb and yogurt for dessert.

News this evening was much as expected, we're now included in a Tier 2 local lockdown with the rest of the larger area. So I now can't go and meet one friend to have lunch at the pub but the family of six next door could all go there together. Ah well, back to how life was for me for six months.
I don't know how Viktoria has put up with it for so long.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 12th October
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 00:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry you’re not able to meet up with your friend for lunch but will keep fingers crossed for a nice walk on Thursday for you...
I’m impressed you still try to get out every day what ever the weather!

Today was shopping day and despite reading late... good book... I still woke quite early... up dressed and out ... quite allot of traffic on the roads and lots of school children too... Lidl’s was my first stop and managed to get most of what I wanted... they don’t seem to have any shortages of things this time.. Waitrose to collect my shopping... they’re not using plastic carrier bags now good just in the baskets... final stop greengrocers... home...
OH helped me unload the car then usual isolate in the garage non perishable goods, rest away in fridge/freezer ...
Late breakfast. today whilst watching scientists briefing... well explained lots of charts and really they just fell short of saying that if everyone took proper notice some areas wouldn’t all be having such harsh restrictions!
Put all new flowers in vases and redid others and picked few bits from the garden...I do like to have flowers they cheer me up. I picked some asters as we’ve loads they’re a light magenta shade and look lovely...
I bought some bulbs..... 3 pkts £5... alliums, flotilleries and doubleheader tulips... are you impressed Roobarb!
Had a tidy up in the kitchen... new vacuum has arrived now isolating in the garage for couple of days...
After lunch OH started a new jigsaw and I carried on with sewing 🌈 tops... not much left to do now should be done by tomorrow...
Listened to Boris heard barebones then decided I’d heard enough...
Dinner was chicken from yesterday with mash and vegs... not that exciting but OH always happy with it...
Watched some tv... university challenge then WDYTYA... first one of new series with Jodie Whittaker..
Another day done... not much really to get excited about ...
Hope others have had a better one

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 03:04 BST (UK) »
Your mention of isolating non perishables made me think of this - apparently a new study:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-12/coronavirus-can-live-on-surfaces-28-days-australian-scientists/12752108

Sobering and depressing.  :(

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:03 BST (UK) »
Ruskie  - My goodness... it certainly is a sobering thought to think that the virus could last that long on surfaces. A depressing thought!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
Oh Crikey!!!
Thanks for that useful information Ruskie.  I've just had to get up and clean all the kitchen worktops.
I had the same as you Roobarb, and a Tuesday meeting has been postponed to Thursday, which might turn out to be better as less rain forecast hereabouts.
H is very jealous you can still get rhubarb, Roobarb. ;)
And more of the same.
🌈 At last I remembered, at the right time, to research the fabric. Had kept thinking of it, usually when I was not near a pc.
Early start Monday and a bread raid on town.  The weather was so damp there were few people around thankfully, so I also darted into Lidl for salmon and blueberries. Returned via the beach route. 
Noted that there must have been a sizeable gathering in the little park, as there were cans and large crisp bags, etc, etc, strewn around one part. 
A pair of wagtails were pecking diligently, but as I drew closer they were spooked by some noisy crows and flew away. And I was delighted by a pair of oyster catchers feeding in the harbour.
We are all out of sync with the shopping, so we had to do a weekly shop even so.
After lunch walked towards the town to use a sub post office for sending out a couple of small packages, and then more work on the tree decs which I shall wrap and post today. Hopefully.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 10:19 BST (UK) »
Oh I'm all out of sync too. Mowsehowse, I love oyster-catchers  indeed they are my favourite seabird. We first noticed them on holiday on the Mull of Galloway a few years back. My OH and I disturbed one nesting whilst walking along a deserted beach - we were looking for seals. The oyster-catcher cleverly led us away from its nesting area making quite a din so we hurriedly left it in peace. We later saw them flying above the beach near Cullean Castle, pretty as a picture, and making a really pleasant sound.

We made an early start for a quick trip to M&S on the edge of a nearby town and then to a rural garden centre/nursery which, it being Monday, was closed! Woops I'd forgotten to check but, surprisingly OH was not upset. Home for coffee with pain au raisin purchased in afore-mentioned store.

Spoke across the lane to opposite neighbour for a couple of minutes. We are both feeling cutoff and unsettled with regards to family visits or rather lack of. :'(

Evening meal was a joint teamwork effort of home-cooked fish & chips, bread and butter, cup of tea and not forgetting Garners pickled onions.

Joy of joys - we've just opened our email and learned that some friends got married secretly after 40 years! Wow, would that be a record? Made us smile as it's brightened our day and the sun is out.
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
Just been asked to do a Covid test, randomly picked I suggest, will do it , but I am sure I am OK, not  been anywhere maskless and have been very careful

Can't bear the thought of being stuck in throughout winter to be honest, she sale of SAD boxes must have gone up,
Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
This is probably a random survey to assess numbers in the community.
H had one a couple of months back.
The hardest part was making up the box to return it. ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 14:55 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I'm definitely impressed by your bulb buying. One of the TV gardeners said that the way to stop squirrels eating them is to grate some soap into the hole when planting the bulbs.  :o Apparently it doesn't harm the squirrels but it does put them off, I guess they don't like the taste of soap!

Ruskie, that particular report doesn't mention what the BBC one does - that there are disagreements about these findings, partly due to the fact that the tests were conducted in lab conditions and this bears "little resemblance to real-life scenarios". I found the BBC article much less frightening:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54500673

Mowsehowse, I got the rhubarb courtesy of Tesco, also got a fresh rhubarb pie from them in previous delivery. Very tasty but it could do without a bit less crust. Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb.  ;D

Ankerdine, no visits isn't a great prospect is it? Personally I think the government is doing this now so that the infection rate is lower at hristmas and people will be able to get together then.

LM, well done on doing your part to provide information for the survey.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales