Author Topic: What are other names for "Ellen"?  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What are other names for "Ellen"?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
I would agree that Ellen is interchangeable with several other names and nicknames.

My grandmother's name was Ellen, but while she was registered as Ellen, she was baptised Eleanor.  My grandfather and other family members always called her Nell.

Granny's aunt was variously recorded as Eleanor, Ellen and Helen, and almost certainly known as Nell or Nellie.

I spent a long time looking for an earlier Eleanor who vanished from the records after the 1841 census - only to find that she died and was buried as Ellen.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
Ellen is considered English and Helen as Scottish.  Helen became more used in England as the 1800’s progressed.  Both likely have a European origin, as variations of the name turn up all over.  Don’t think it is biblical, though...Greek?
Consider Helene as the French version, as she was in Quebec, although unlikely English Protestant church records would give an Anglo a French name, it’s possible.  Aline is another possibility, although I am not sure if is from the same root.

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 23:42 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out this baptism:

26 Jan 1818 St Bartholomew, Colne, Lancashire
Ellen Garth - Daughter of William Garth & Ellen, cotton manufacturer of Ball Grove Mill
Baptisms 1813 - 1819, Page 245, Entry 1956

There is a marriage July 1846, Ormskirk
Ellen Garth and Thomas Hutton.
Her father is William, Cotton Manufacturer.

1851 2197/389/36 (Ancestry has her as Watton)
shows her born Bell Grove, Colne.

*where/when was George Garth born?

George Garth was born in 1799 in Rochdale, Lanc to John Garth and Mary Kershaw.  I have found his birth/baptism info and related info forwards.

It's not impossible that Ellen (and a Julia Garth that I also can't find any info on) could possibly be George's sister or could be a cousin or whatnot.  The Garth branch in Rochdale is hiding prior to John's marriage to Mary.  I don't know when John was born, who his parents were or who his siblings are.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all the options for what "Ellen" could be short for or nicknames for or a nickname of.  This Ellen Garth is a brick wall and I'd love to know how she connects with George.  Time to look at the names everyone suggested.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood