Author Topic: Hooliganism at Treorchy  (Read 550 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hooliganism at Treorchy
« on: Tuesday 13 October 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
This heading appeared in the Rhondda Leader of 13 January 1900. It was above an account of the court appearance of  John Winter and Richard Phillips, colliers of Treorchy. They were accused of entering the house of "an old man, Abraham Evans of Treorchy" , and of threatening and tormenting him.

Phillips produced an alibi, supported by evidence, and was discharged. Winter's alibi was disputed by the police and he was bound over to keep the peace and ordered to pay the costs of the case.

Working from 1901 census I have tried to identify the three participants. I have a John Winter, collier, of Treorchy, as a grandfather-in-law. I have been unable to trace Abraham Evans, but I have found a John Winter and a Richard Phillips who might just about fit the bill. I fully appreciate that it is sheer conjecture.

Is anyone else up to the challenge? It would be interesting to see of others reach the same conclusion.

P S. Treorchy was in the parish of Ystradyfodwg

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hooliganism at Treorchy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
There is a 75 yr old Abraham Evans in Dumfries St, "Treherbert" on 1901 ( RG13; 5012; 141; 27). A check of the map and it looks like it's actually in Treorchy

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Mabel.
That is interesting. Dumfries Street is an address with which my Winter family has an association.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:57 BST (UK) »
JOhn Winter b Treorchy c 1880 a boarder in Bute St, parish of Cwmparc - haulier, as per a number of his court appearance

Richard Phillips (transcribed on ANcestry as Richard Rullys) b Treorchy c1879 in River Row, parish of Cwmparc

I think these locations are both actually in Treorchy - Richard Phillips of 14 River Row, Treorchy was up in court in May 1901 accused of assaulting his sister

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:59 BST (UK) »
There's another younger Abraham Evans, also of River Row (footballer and pugilist) - relative?

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mabel. You have found the evidence that confirms my theory and shown the link between the two defendants,  thus confirming the identity of John Winter.

John Winter of Bute Street was living with his parents in 14 River Row in 1891. His brother, Walter, was living with his aunt, Sarah Watts, at that address in 1901. Their parents and younger siblings had moved to Abersychan.

My interest in Abraham Evans was solely to discover his address and establish a location for the offence.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello am a local

Dumfries Street Treherbert is not the same street as Dumfries Street Treorchy  Two different streets in two different villages

Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for making the distinction. I have always associated my family with the Treorchy address but it now seems I shall have to check that assumption.