Author Topic: Deaths of Herbert and Zita Chippendale (Chippendall) Aug 1995  (Read 795 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deaths of Herbert and Zita Chippendale (Chippendall) Aug 1995
« on: Tuesday 13 October 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas how we might find out more about the deaths of our cousin and his wife. Herbert Augustus Chippendale was born at Orange NSW in 1907. Zita Eileen Turner was born at Cobar NSW in 1908. Their marriage was registered at Ryde in Sydney in 1941. In 1980 they were living in the Bondi Junction area of Sydney. A friend found their graves at Rookwood, which show that Herbert died on 21 Aug 1995 and Zita died the next day, on 22 Aug 1995. It seems they were buried on 25 Aug 1995 (side by side). We think the most likely explanation for their deaths is a road smash, with Herbert dying instantly and Zita lingering on for about 24 hours, but we would like to have some of evidence. They were both well into their 80s.
Obviously Trove is on no use and we found nothing in Ryersons. Would anyone else be any ideas? 
All help gratefully appreciated.
Geoff

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths of Herbert and Zita Chippendale (Chippendall) Aug 1995
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
Given their respective ages it could have been natural causes
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 04:50 BST (UK) »
https://catholiccemeteries.com.au/deceased-search/

That live link gives the following info re the graves of the couple as CHIPPENDALE.  They were buried 25 August 1995, LWN*6***1072, Rookwood Catholic Cemetery. 

I have noticed the alternative spelling is found as early as 1915 (Herbert Augustus CHIPPENDALL) and as early as 1908 as (Herbert Augustus CHIPPINDALL), and I suggest that that is NOT the chap who was born 1907 in NSW.   It was not possible to enrol to vote in Queensland (or anywhere else in Australia) until aged 21 years and over until 1973 when the voting age was lowered to 18 years.

You ask if anyone has any ideas how we might find out more about the deaths of your cousin and his wife.  May I suggest that August 2025 is less than five years away, and that the NSW BDM's restricted access period for the death certs for the couple should be lifted at that time.  The NSW BDM d.c. shows 'cause/s of death (and duration), and provides the informant's identifying details (name, address, relationship to the deceased), and the names/ages of children of the couple.   You may need to be patient and wait until then, as the website includes the following important notice:

https://catholiccemeteries.com.au/deceased-search/
IMPORTANT INFORMATION – PLEASE NOTE:
Due to the Privacy Act, disclosure of the names of owner/s or next of kin of a deceased person is prohibited.
Early records are not as comprehensive as current ones and do not provide more detailed information.
The Deceased Search database does not provide information on headstone or plaque inscriptions.
Neither the Deceased Search database nor records held have information on maiden names, names of parents, names of siblings, newspaper announcements, or immigration.
For more information, e.g. headstone/plaque inscriptions, photographs, listings of names etc., a fee may apply.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 05:17 BST (UK) »
I have the grave pics thanks. I am also aware of three different Herbert Augustus Chippindall/Chippendale/Chippendalls, one in NSW and two in Queensland, one of whom was the father of the Herbert Augustus I am trying to find out more about.

I respect the need for privacy. I just thought if they had died in a newsworthy way, such as in a road smash, there might be some public record of that.

When the family arrived from Lancashire in 1815 the accepted spelling of the surname was Chippendale (the Sydney suburb was named after them) but most members of the family now use Chippindall. A fourth variation you sometimes see is Chippindale.

Thanks, as always,

Geoff

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff, have you tried contacting the NSW state library? The access i have to the Sydney Morning Herald stops 6 months short of the date of death for Herbert and Zita, but you could contact the library and ask if there are any newspaper reports, death and / or funeral notices for the pair with their names and dates you have for their deaths.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 05:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks. A friend with SMH access tells me the same thing, that the access drops out a few months before the death dates. But someone else suggested the State Library so I have put in a request through the Ask a Librarian service (I am in Brisbane so can't go in person). 

Geoff

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 05:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks. A friend with SMH access tells me the same thing, that the access drops out a few months before the death dates. But someone else suggested the State Library so I have put in a request through the Ask a Librarian service (I am in Brisbane so can't go in person). 

Geoff

Worth a try, most state libraries are really helpful. Good luck  :)

Offline JenPraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 November 20 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff
Zita and Herbert are my great aunt and uncle. I can confirm they died of natural causes (old age) in a nursing home at Woollahra. Herbert (who we all called Chip) passed away first with Zita following 14hrs later. Purely coincidental and totally romantic! They both were suffering dementia (Zita more so) towards the end. My mother and I are happy to answer any questions you may have. Hope this helps. Cheers Jenny

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 December 20 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,
   Welcome to rootschat :)

I'm sure Geoff will be excited to have made contact with you and will be along soon.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland