Author Topic: 23andme health+ancestry+traits £74 for Amazon Prime members 2 day sale  (Read 522 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
23andme health+ancestry+traits £74 for Amazon Prime members 2 day sale
« on: Tuesday 13 October 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Offer ends tomorrow, the more expensive 23andme kit, that is usually £149 that has some health info, although I should caveat many of the tests seem specifically geared to Ashkenazi Jews and African Americans, and do not test many markers for diseases found in Europeans (see link below). 23andme probably does a better job at separating out French and German and also finding distant non European or African ancestry that Ancestry does not do so well on, and is definitely superior to MyHeritage in my experience

https://www.amazon.co.uk/23andMe-DNA-Test-Ancestry-Personal/dp/B019D9HEGG/

https://www.23andme.com/en-gb/dna-reports-list/ see info on health reports on right column

https://www.23andme.com/en-gb/test-info/

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 23andme health+ancestry+traits £74 for Amazon Prime members 2 day sale
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 20 14:12 BST (UK) »

So annoyed that I missed this!

I tested with 23andme last year, and was thinking of adding the health bit... I didn’t know about this offer...and have missed it now.

Just checked, and it’s £90 to upgrade to health now. I think I’ll wait for another offer to come along!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 20 14:43 BST (UK) »

So annoyed that I missed this!

I tested with 23andme last year, and was thinking of adding the health bit... I didn’t know about this offer...and have missed it now.

Just checked, and it’s £90 to upgrade to health now. I think I’ll wait for another offer to come along!

Romilly.
I am honestly not sure it is worth it Romilly, as it only tests for a very small number of markers for common inherited diseases, and as I said above, they seemed geared to particular American populations, Ashkenazi Jews, African Americans. As an example, it only tests for 20 out of a possible 1000 inherited high cholesterol markers. If you are in the UK, I believe the NHS is running a pilot scheme (or at least, they were) which gives full genome sequencing and tests for far more markers.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 20 16:11 BST (UK) »

Thanks melba, my test with 23andme was just the Ancestry, (autosomal) one, and I think the health upgrade that you can add to that is more detailed? (I might be wrong).

Having said that, I did an upgrade on Living DNA, - ‘traits’ for £29, - and it was so general and unspecific that I wish I hadn’t bothered!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
I have 23andme health and have found it well worth reading.  You get some interesting comments from others US as well.  Get it when it is on sale they should have one soon.  Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 October 20 18:29 BST (UK) »

Thanks Lookin2,

I’ll have to keep an eye on it!

Romilly  ;)
Researching:

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 October 20 12:42 BST (UK) »

Thanks Lookin2,

I’ll have to keep an eye on it!

Romilly  ;)
Romilly, as I said, you should bear in mind it only detects a very small minority of known markers for many diseases, like breast cancer, high cholesterol etc, it is also sometimes gives false reports on the markers they do test for

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/health/23andme-brca-gene-testing.html

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jul/21/senior-doctors-call-for-crackdown-on-home-genetic-testing-kits

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 October 20 12:51 BST (UK) »

Funnily enough, I was sent a 50% off offer by 23andme me this morning!

Might just be coincidence, I suppose?

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 October 20 12:53 BST (UK) »

Funnily enough, I was sent a 50% off offer by 23andme me this morning!

Might just be coincidence, I suppose?

Romilly.
Curious 8)! I would have a look at the right column on this page to see exactly what you are getting with the health if you do decide to buy :)

https://www.23andme.com/en-gb/dna-reports-list/