Author Topic: Flowers family of Banbury  (Read 853 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Flowers family of Banbury
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 18:10 BST (UK) »
There is an incoming passenger list for Madeline Flowers aged 41  27.2.1909 from Buenos Aires Argentina  to Southampton.  No other info on the list
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
Cuffie81 and Cath151:

Thinking about FindMyPast:  I would like Worldwide (would come in handy for the American branch) as well as their Newspaper Archives (for the articles on Hubert b1866).

BUT, it is "Billed as a single payment of £46:99", and "Cancel anytime, no strings".  So if I cancel within the 3 months, do they refund me the other 9months?

Thank you both.
Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 18:44 BST (UK) »
There is an incoming passenger list for Madeline Flowers aged 41  27.2.1909 from Buenos Aires Argentina  to Southampton.  No other info on the list

Yes, I have that, thank you.  She isn't on any UK census after 1891 until 1939.  She married Harry Bowles in 1920 Yarmouth, He was 26y younger than her (lucky woman!) and she left her £550 estate to him.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
I suspect the deserter is Dad, given the lists end in 1903

There's a military record indexed on Ancestry, but access is on the Fold3 site

Hubert H Flowers
Discharge Date:    29 Oct 1886
Regiment:    2d Bn Oxford Shire Light Infantry
Regimental Number:    1123

Hubert jnr joined the navy in 1906 for 12 years, but the record I can see ends in 1909. in Sept 1914 he joins the army

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
I don;t know that they were completely deserted - Thomas appears to be living with his mother in 1916 when he joins up (or rejoins - looks like he might have been in the army in 1914 as well)

He also did time in the navy as a youngster

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thinking about FindMyPast:  I would like Worldwide (would come in handy for the American branch) as well as their Newspaper Archives (for the articles on Hubert b1866).

BUT, it is "Billed as a single payment of £46:99", and "Cancel anytime, no strings".  So if I cancel within the 3 months, do they refund me the other 9months?

I think that "Cancel anytime, no strings" note refers to cancelling during the free trial, although FindMyPast are somewhat unclear on that (the cynic in me thinks it's deliberate).

Having been an FindMyPast subscriber for a number of years I don't think there's any way to 'unsubscribe' once your subscription has started; the only option being to disable auto-renewal which would happen at the end of the subscription period.

Is that subscription price for 3 months? If so, disabling auto renewal before the end of the period would mean you'd only be charged for the one 3-month subscription (I think). Checking the subscription prices they only offer me 1-month or 1-year subscriptions so I couldn't be sure what offers you're seeing.

You could always take up the free trial for 14 days and sweep through their records and newspapers in that time, and then cancel the trial before the time is up.

There are quite a few newspaper references to the Flowers family, given their prominence in Banbury, so I think you'd find even the free trial worth it.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
I think that "Cancel anytime, no strings" note refers to cancelling during the free trial, although FindMyPast are somewhat unclear on that (the cynic in me thinks it's deliberate).

I must be cynical too!

I've already used up the Free Trial offers available on FindMyPast and BNA, so can't do again.

I've emailed FindMyPast and asked about how their refund system works. 

Its annoying that I only need BNA for the 3 articles on Hubert (and maybe FindMyPast for few more searches for the USA branch, although that's not so important at this time). 

I have all the other records available for the family (BMDs/Army & Navy records/Medal records etc)

Thanks to all.

Online sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 21:48 BST (UK) »
there is a site  https://sites.rootsweb.com/~engcbanb/surnames/surnames-d-g.htm

site is called Banburyshire I have used it before

this is a surname list on it and the name Flowers is down twice with contact emails might help

sandie

this could be useful a tree  https://sites.rootsweb.com/~engcbanb/families/flowers/03.htm

also lots of photos of family
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk