Author Topic: Silas Hoskins of Castle Cary  (Read 2696 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Silas Hoskins of Castle Cary
« on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Silas Hoskins was born around 1816 in Ansford Somerset and died in Castle Cary in 1894. He was buried in the parish church's churchyard. He was a builder/carpenter who was involved in most aspects of the town, public duties, early police constable, societies as well as being well known in the temperance movement. The Castle Cary Visitor wrote about his life in its 1900 September edition under the title of Cary Worthies. I do not have a photo of him and neither has any of the relatives that I have contacted. I wonder if he appears in any old published photographs perhaps in one of his clubs, Friendly Societies, Temperance Societies, local Liberal Party pictures or even the local gas company. Any help and suggestions would be fantastic as it would be lovely to find a photograph or even a painting showing him. The only image I have of him is in my mind that  of him with a portly form!

Many thanks  Mark

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Silas Hoskins of Castle Cary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Long shot but is there a local newspaper report of his death that may have included a photo.

Or the local library may hold some old pamphlets or something relating to the societies he was involved with.

Good luck.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the library but when things settle down I will visit and go through all the books showing old photographs. Unfortunately there wasn't a photo in the article I mentioned or his orbit. I know it was some time ago but there were photographs being taken and as he was the secretary or other positions and in processions there must be a chance of tracking him down. Thank you again,  Mark

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
He is mentioned in a few articles in local newspapers.

Out of curiosity I looked through all 8 pages of an edition of the Shepton Mallet Journal of 1889.  Not a single photograph of anything at all.

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
That was extremely kind of you. He is proving elusive, but I won't give up. As he was prominent in many organizations my best hope is that he is in a group picture. It was a surprize that his picture wasn't included with the article in the Castle Cary Visitor as other worthies sometimes had a photo but fingers crossed. Many thanks again,  Mark

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the archives to ask if they hold anything relating to him?

https://swheritage.org.uk/somerset-archives/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
Many thank I have contacted the museum. When I get a chance I will go to the County Library in Taunton and search out any old books on Castle Cary and books that feature old photographs. The local library will be good to search as well. I did email them and they advised me that they didn't have any pictures but it will be worth having a look myself. With him being so involved in temperance movements I would be surprised if there isn't photographs to publicize their cause.

Many thanks for your help,

Mark

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hoskins of Cstle Cary
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
I have previously sought info regarding my ancestor Silas Hoskins b 1816 at Ansford who lived in Castle Cary. He was a great Temperance believer who lived in the Bailey Hill area of the town. I understand that he ran a coffee tavern/temperance hotel from that area that was lbelieve where he lived. I know the  befor 1878 the building was a redundant bank before becoming the temperance hotel and wonder if anyone could id the actual building or tell me any information that would add to my knowledge. Very many thanks  Mark

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hoskins of Cstle Cary
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 15:55 BST (UK) »
1881 census address is 25 Bailey Hill and he is described as a stamp distributor.

Do you know what years he ran the hotel?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos