Author Topic: Lambing time  (Read 765 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lambing time
« on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
This is an unmounted small snapshot, taken about 1946 or 7, and has my late mum on it with her friend and a couple of lambs.
If it's at all possible, could it be tidied up a bit, and made sharper than it is? I'm afraid I haven't the negative, and the actual photo is ... well, no better than my scan of it.
I'm not wanting any kind soul to try to add colour, but I'd appreciate it if someone has the time to fiddle with it a bit.
Thanks,
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lambing time
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
Not much better but...

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
One from me  :D

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 00:47 BST (UK) »
One from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 05:07 BST (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
I realise I read this wrong and you are not wanting it coloured, so here is a black and white version, sorry about the mix up
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, japeflakes, tomkin, Trishanne ( I appreciate the time and effort spent on the coloured version!), and McGroger. It was very kind of you all to take the challenge on. I think you've managed wonders, considering what a lousy photo it was in the first place! Tomkin, how did you manage to enhance their faces so well? McGroger, I really feel those are almost the real sheep, from the same flock I knew later!
It always seems odd to me that often photos taken with popular cameras in the 1930s/40s/50s are so much worse than the formal studio photographs of the 19th and very early 20th century!
I did have a little try myself, after I'd scanned it, with a very basic programme on my p.c.,  but I couldn't manage anything really, so I am in awe of your skills.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
These sheep are all called Dolly followed by numbers!   Tomkin uses an app or online service and the results are often amazing for faces.   I don't use an app but try to find minute changes in pixels to enhance what's already there ... but if there's nowt much there, then I might make it up a bit, like an artist's impression of an identikit, but have to stop short of pure invention.  If you have other photos of your mother we can Copy her features and Paste them into the less detailed one, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
I'm delighted at what you have managed, one way or another. The facial likeness on the humans is great in Tomkin's offering, except for a bit where the top lip and lower lip of my mum's mouth meet. A shame that the lambs are not as identifiable, but I suppose to them we'd all look alike!
Seriously, thank you all. All I have to do now is to download the two most like, and then I'll be an even happier person. Thank you all - and, Ian Nelson, I love the technicolour paint-by-numbers job! Just wish my Mum was here to see it!
TY