Author Topic: Should we colour black and white photos?  (Read 4801 times)

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Should we colour black and white photos?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 16 October 20 16:02 BST (UK) »

Such artistry, such beauty, Leonardo couldn't have painted a better picture

of delectable still life such as this. Is their an emoji for drooling ??? ??? ???

And imagine if this work of art was B&W   Yuck!!!!!!!!

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 19 October 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
My personal preference is to leave them black and white.  A well coloured photograph can be pleasing to the eye but it loses the atmosphere and sense of history in the process.  I have reversed the process in my own collection - some of my photos were coloured at the time that they were taken and they look awful so I have converted them back to black and white.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
A well coloured photograph can be pleasing to the eye but it loses the atmosphere and sense of history in the process. 
Just saw this in the Guardian today:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/oct/21/english-heritage-colours-the-past-before-and-after
Maybe not strictly relevant to this topic, as these are not photos of family and ancestors, but, ....  fits in well with Elliven's comment.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 11:23 BST (UK) »

some of my photos were coloured at the time that they were taken and they look awful so I have converted them back to black and white.

Therefore you have altered a historic picture to suit your preference ???

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
It's all about personal preference, many people who post photos on here and request colour, do so because they think it brings the subjects to life. Many want to connect with their ancestors to see if there is any family resemblance and colouring often does that. They still have the original photo for future reference.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
I think Carol has hit the nail on the head.  It is all a matter of personal preference AND you still have the original photo so there is nothing lost.  I have seen examples of her work and they are superb but I have also seen examples of a local "expert" and they are awful with colours that are often too intense and look as bad as some of the wartime hand coloured photos like my parents' wedding photos where my Dad had pink cheeks! (Normal for him was suntanned from working outside).

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
Tomkin is just stirring it.

:-X ;D :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 22 October 20 04:52 BST (UK) »
I tried the reverse here with a pic of me mum.  So the one on the left was coloured by hand back in the 1940s and the photo I remember looking at as a child.  Out of curiosity, I did a quick converted to b/w (& sepia) in photoshop.

Since the hand-coloured version brings back fond memories growing up, it's the one I prefer for this particular photo.

Generally, I prefer sepia - but yeah, it's a personal preference.

NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)