Author Topic: Thomas Purves Johnston  (Read 838 times)

Offline BorderReiver58

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Purves Johnston
« on: Wednesday 14 October 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
Indiana.59

Thomas Purves Johnston, was my Great Uncle. My Grandmother was his Sister.

I have recently started Family Tree research.

I have been told by my late Father and another family member that Uncle Tom was married certainly twice. During WW1 he had a leg blown off and he was disabled out of the services and lived with his parents before marrying in 1916.

I have also been told that during WW2, Tom was employed as a Crane Driver at Leith Docks Edinburgh. There he was highly respected due to the fact everyday he would climb up the cranes so he could predominantly women how to use them.

I am told he subsequently returned to Berwick where he died. (Still researching)

My enquiries suggest Toms 1st Wife was Charlotte 'Lottie' Manson and they married in Jan 1916 in Berwick.
They had three daughters:
Eleanor Manson Johnston b. 1919
Jane 'Connie' Cockburn Johnston b. 1920 &
Christina Margaret Johnston b. 1922
I have been told that Charlotte passed away. My enquiries indicate that she died in 1924 as did Christina, but i have no information as to their passing.

Tom re-married on 16 Jan 1926 in Edinburgh. Marrying a widow by the name of Elizabeth Grant Shearer also known as Durnan b. 1886

I am trying to establish the full family of James Johnston (b 27/07/1839) & Margaret Murray (b 1840) who are the parents of my Great Grandfather Alexander Johnston (b 21/07/1868).

I have identified that a Thomas Purves Johnston aged 21 died in 1943 as a POW during WW2. Records indicate his parents as being Thomas Purves Johnston and Helen Smith Johnston of an address in Berwick. Clearly this could not be the Tom we are interested in but possibly a Cousin?

Hope this is of some assistance, please feel free to respond.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Purves Johnston
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Added
oops! Welcome to Rootschat BorderReiver58 :-)

The GRO site https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp shows 2 Thomas Purves Johnston births registered in Berwick 1893+/- a year

1892 Q1 mother's maiden name Kermon
1893 Q2 mother's maiden name Cockburn

Searching Free BMD for deaths , surname Johnston, first names Thomas P, death age/d.ob @1891-1894, starting year 1940 end year blank
gives 2 results

Q1 1969 Johnston Thomas P age 75 Northumberland S
Q4 1970 Johnston Thomas Purvis d.o.b.  21 Feb 1892 Northumberland North 1

Given that, the 1969 death is likely to relate to the birth mmn Cockburn and the 1970 to the birth mmn Kermon

There is a pension index card on Fold 3 for a Thomas Purves JohnsTon, Pte 11300 of the Royal Scots.
this man was invalided out with a gunshot wound to his left cheek and amputation of his left leg.
There are 3 addresses on the record 2 in Edinburgh andwhat appears to be a later one in Berwick, so I'd say this is highly possible to be your man.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
Berwick absent voters roll Berwick upon Tweed No 1 Ward 1918 Autumn
Johnston Thomas  28 Golden Square Discharged
Johnston Thomas 17 West Street A.B. H.M.S. "Apollo" (Carland)

The first entry matched the Berwick address on the pension index card, so that man had his left leg amputated. The discharge date on the pension card was 26 Mar 1918, so that too matches.

UPDATED There was also another Johnston registered as being absent from 28 Golden Square in 1918 Autumn register

Johnston Alexander 28 Golden Square 31065 Pte C Co. 16 Bat Camero.   ?Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)?

Alexander also listed on the 1919 Spring Absent Voters Register, but not listed on the Autumn Register.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
Records of Guild of Freeman of Berwick upon Tweed

http://www.berwickfamilies.org.uk

That page is worth searching for folk from Berwick, I've found it very useful in the past. Lots of records for the surname Johnston.
There is only one for an Alexander Johnston - who may or may not be your man, but he was a saddler, admitted in 1891 , the second son of a James Johnston , admitted in 1866.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 13:09 BST (UK) »

I have been told that Charlotte passed away. My enquiries indicate that she died in 1924 as did Christina, but i have no information as to their passing.

Scotlands People only bring up one result for a death of a Charlotte Johnston, other surname Manson
Leith North 1924 ref 685/ 10 52, Charlotte Johnston age 26

and the only result for a death of a Johnston first name starts with Christina Marg is
Wick 1924 043/ 99 Christina Marga (for some odd reason the middle name field is rarely large enough to show the full middle name) age 1 - index only shows full years, image is very likely to have months too.

It would cost about £1.50 worth of credits to view each entry to be sure.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 14:01 BST (UK) »
Back to your Uncle Tom (possibly, we can only offer what we find in the records and where, then you review and check it out, then decide if he's yours or not)
The Berwickshire News 18 Sep 1917 page 5

BERWICKSHIRE ROYAL SCOT DANGEROUSLY WOUNDED

Pte Thos Purves Johnston
has been seriously wounded and is in Hospital in France.
Mrs Johnston has received a letter on Sunday saying he was dangerously wounded, and the following day she received a telegram saying her son was dangerously ill and would not be able to see anybody. We learn that this gallant lad has had his left foot and part of the leg amputated. A letter has been received from the Chaplain at the Hospital stating Pte Johnston was well liked in his Battalion and was a gallant soldier. He was serving in India when War broke out, and was sent with his Regiment to the Country and ultimately to France, He was in all the big engagements at the beginning of hostilities and after a trying time was invalided to this Country with trench feet. After recovery he was sent to Salonika, where he was severely wounded. In all, the gallant lad has been 4 times wounded. Pte Johnston’s father is also serving. We hope better news will be heard soon and that Pte Johnston will make the good recovery he deserves to do.

There was also a photo, though I have transcribed the text I've attached the photo

I was concerned that I may have had the wrong man, as news was sent to his mother and you said he married Charlotte Manson in 1916 - so she would have had the notification as next of kin.

However,  the GRO index shows they married in Q1 1918, Berwick, not 1916? So I am back to thinking this could well be your man.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has a likely marriage registration for Thomas Purves Johnston's parents,
Alexander Johnston and Jane Cockburn

Q1 1890, Berwick

Family Search (in order to search and view results, you need to sign up for a free account) As you said you are fairly new, I have given details of how to search - apologies if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs:-)

Search: Records
Surname:  Johnston, leave first name blank
search with a relationship
Father Alexander
Mother Jane

Click search and you get entries from all over the world.

Scroll down and from the left hand menus to filter the results
specify the birth place as
United Kingdom
England
Northumberland
Now you get specific results and can see Thomas Purves Johnston,
click in that line and then you will see he was baptised at Berwick on 6th Jul 1893 and there are suggested links to transcripts of the 1901 and 1911 census, which will give you the full household details

Go back to the results screen and you'll see baptism record transcriptions  for likely siblings.

Boo

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 June 21 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Tickettyboo

I found the photo of Thomas on the net when looking for info on a James B Johnston, I pressed on it and ended up here, but, only after I remember to sign in, ha ha ha, I have no idea why I have missed this, as I have only just read it all I need a night to sleep on it, and go back on what you have said, I have sent a private message with more info on a family tree that may help you, but, I find the further you go back you need to head into Scotland itself, Edinburgh being the hotspot here . . . 

The Murray is a hard one for me, since when is a Murray an actual Murray, with McGregors in my family tree, Murray was one of the names taken up by the McGregors when they were being wiped out of Scotland, and could the James Johnston have anything to do with the James B Johnston I am looking for . . .

O' my Grandfather Thomas was a right card, he was always happy to let me fill his artifical leg up with glass marbles through the holes in it, then he would shake his leg so he rattled, much to my glee, he he he . . . 

Indiana (Dianne) . . . : )

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 June 21 01:31 BST (UK) »
INFO ON A JAMES JOHNSTON – MARGARET MURRAY

IT IS WORTH A BASH GIVEN THE INFORMATION YOU HAVE GIVEN

Name:          James Johnston
Marriage Date:       24 Jul 1863
Marriage Place:    Dalmeny, West Lothian, Scotland
Spouse:       Margaret Murray

1841 CENSUS
Name:          James Johnston
Estimated Birth:    abt 1781
Where born:       Berwickshire, Scotland
Civil parish:       Swinton (Duns)
County:       Berwickshire
Address:       Village Of Swinton
James Johnston    60 CARTER B: BERWICK B: 1781
Robert Johnston    25 (HEAD) Baker & Grocer B: BERWICK – SWINTON B: 1816
Janet Johnston       20 B: 1821 SCOTLAND
James Johnston    1 B: SWINTON, BERWICK B: 1839
Alison Johnston    1 Mo B: SWINTON, BERWICK
Matilda Johnston    20 B: SWINTON, BERWICK

WE HAVE THIS

1871 CENSUS
Estimated Birth:    abt 1840
Spouse's Name:    Margaret Johnston
Where born:       Kirk Linton, Linlithgow
Civil parish:       West Calder
County:       Midlothian
Address:       Harburn Saw Mill Cottage
James Johnston    31    Head B: Kirk Linton, Linlithgow B: 1840
Margaret Johnston    31    Wife B: Simple, Edinburgh B: 1840
James Johnston    7    Son
Archbald Johnston    5    Son
Alexander Johnston    2    Son B: 1869
Margaret Johnston    10 Mo    Daughter B: Abercorn, Linlithgow
Mary Murray    21    Sister-in-law B: Tumple, Edinburgh
William Murray    2    Nephew B: Abercorn, Linlithgow

1881 CENSUS
Name:          James Johnston
Estimated Birth:    abt 1840
Where born:       Kirkliston, Edin
Civil parish:       Cramond
Address:       Cottages
Household Members    Age    Relationship
James Johnston    41    Head
Margaret Johnston    41    Wife
Archibalt Johnston    15    Son
Alexander Johnston    13    Son B: 1868
Margaret Johnston    10    Daughter
Thomas Johnston    5    Son
Andrew Johnston    1    Son

1891 CENSUS
Estimated Birth:    abt 1834
Where born:       Kirkliston, Linlithgow
Registration district:    Lasswade
Civil parish:       Lasswade
Address:       13 Mayburn Terr
James Johnston    57    Head
Margaret Johnston    51    Wife
Archibald Johnston    25    Son
Thomas Johnston    15    Son
Andrew Johnston    10    Son
Robert Johnston    8    Son
George Robertson    25    Boarder

BY THIS TIME ALEXANDER JOHNSTON B: IS AWAY POSSIBLE MARRIED TO JANE COCKBURN IN BERWICK . . .

1891 CENSUS I AM SURE YOU ALREADY HAVE  . . .

ANYWAY IT ALL FITS IN AS THERE IS NO HISTORY OF AN ALEXANDER JOHNSTON IN BERWICK PRIOR TO 1868 . . .

I ALWAYS THOUGHT JANE COCKBURN WAS FROM IRELAND, BUT, HEY THERE YOU GO . . .

YOU CAN FOLLOW THE TREE ON ANCESTRY VIA THE INFO I SENT ON TO YOU BY MESSAGE ON HERE, BUT, NEVER SWEAR BY IT UNTIL YOU CHECKED IT ALL OUT FOR YOURSELF . . .

DIANNE