Author Topic: Trying to decipher a 1855 Birth record  (Read 397 times)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to decipher a 1855 Birth record
« on: Wednesday 14 October 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
This is an image of part of an 1855 birth.   Specifically it's the column with the parents marriage date and place and then the details of other children from the marriage.  I think I can get some of it, but would appreciate if anyone can pick out anything more.

So far I think the marriage is 1838, Co Donegal. 
The children details ...
3 boys and ? girls living
? boys and 1 girl deceased

As far as I can ascertain, there may have been 8 children living or dead at this time.

Andrew

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to decipher a 1855 Birth record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
I agree 1838 Co Donegal then would say 2 girls living, 2 boys deceased. So yes, 8 children before this birth.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
Have you asked scotlandspeople if they would mind sending you a clearer image - sometimes it helps?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
Have you asked scotlandspeople if they would mind sending you a clearer image - sometimes it helps?

Ah, I didn't know you could do that.  Thank you.
Is it just a case of emailing them with the image and the reference ?

Andrew

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
Go back to the image on your account on SP and click on 'Report an Issue'.

However they are not doing re-scans in the meantime because of Covid-19.

FWIW I read it as "1838 County of Donegal. ?2 boys and 2 girls living, 2 boys and 1 girl deceased".
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses all.

I have put in a request for a clearer image if possible, but as you say, it may be a while before I see it.
However, there does seem to be a reasonable consensus regards the number of children living or deceased, with maybe the only doubt being whether its 2 or 3 boys living.

Thanks again folks
Andrew     

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:54 BST (UK) »
Have you looked anywhere for baptism of children with those parents' names? Do you have any idea when the parents moved to Scotland? You could try familysearch, the parish registers on https://registers.nli.ie/ post 1838 for the parish where the parents were married, ScotlandsPeople church records 1838 - 1855, by county on https://www.rootsireland.ie [though you need subscription for latter - you can get one for a day].
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON