Author Topic: Marriage of Damaris KING (of Chinnor, Oxon) and Thomas CARY (of Bledlow)  (Read 1274 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage of Damaris KING (of Chinnor, Oxon) and Thomas CARY (of Bledlow)
« on: Wednesday 14 October 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello folks,

This is going to look like it should be in the Oxfordshire lookup requests, but please bear with me.
I have an ancestor, Damaris KING, whose origins I am researching. Damaris, not a common name, so you'd think it'd be fairly easy...

...err, no – there appear to be two of them, both from eastern Oxfordshire (along the border with Bucks). One was baptised in Chinnor in 1671 to Thomas, son of Richard (mother presumed to be Margaret BIGG), the other in South Weston in 1676 to Thomas and Elizabeth. One of them married my ancestor Thomas NEWELL by licence in Hughenden in 1704. One of them also posted a marriage bond in Henton (near Chinnor) in 1698 naming their spouse as a Thomas CARY of Bledlow. Perhaps both marriages were to the same Damaris.

This is what I'm trying to work out, as the more I can find out the better chance I have of working out which Damaris is my ancestor. Oxfordshire FHS can't find any record of a burial for a Thomas CARY in the 1698-1704 date range, so I'm wondering if he did die, whether he was buried in Bucks. Or, alternatively, if he didn't, where he and his Damaris baptised any children (I'm hoping any children's names might give a clue who this Damaris's parents were, and, therefore, allow me to work out which Damaris is mine by eliminating one set of parents).

To this end, would somebody be able to look up the following:

Burials for a Thomas CARY (including variations) between 1698 and c. 1770?
    Burials for a Damaris CARY (including variations) between 1698 and c. 1770?
    Baptisms of children with the surname CARY (inc. var.) between 1698 and 1730?

Thanks in anticipation

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Damaris KING (of Chinnor, Oxon) and Thomas CARY (of Bledlow)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 20 01:09 BST (UK) »
Bledlow.

Baptism - 1702 - Thomas son of Thomas & Damaris Carie. Sep 19.
Baptism - 1708 - Edward son of Thomas & Damaris Carie. June 27.

Burial - Damarise Carey. widdow, pauper. 21 July 1717.

http://lanchbury.id.au/genealogy/bledlow1700.html

Steve. :)

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
1704 Marriage on FreeREG has Damaris of Chinnor, Oxon**., and Thos of West Wycombe.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 20 13:35 BST (UK) »
1704 Marriage on FreeREG has Damaris of Chinnor, Oxon**., and Thos of West Wycombe.

Phillimore's Marriage Registers has the marriage as 'by licence' The licence may have more information.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Oxford Diocese marriage bond index  lists only one Thomas Cary/Damaris King licence - in 1698, Damaris from Henton and  Thomas from Bledlow . I looked through by surname and parish. Maybe a missing entry or Phillimore is wrong.

Add -no Newell ilcence
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Henton is a hamlet in Chinnor.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 20 14:42 BST (UK) »
Online trees  have these children for Damaris and Thomas Newell

1705 Damaris
1707 Thomas
1709 Ambrose
1710 Anne
1712 William
1714 John
1715 Elizabeth
1718 Henry
1732 Mary

and Damaris's death as 1743 Bledow. Thomas as 1748, Bledow.

ADD - if Thomas Cary had died, Damaris would have married as Damaris Cary not King

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 October 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your responses, everyone. I guess we can safely say that the two Damarises (Damares?) are two separate people.

Regarding marriage licences, do these show any more information than the indexes and if so, where are they kept?

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 October 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
Oxford Diocese marriage bond index  lists only one Thomas Cary/Damaris King licence - in 1698, Damaris from Henton and  Thomas from Bledlow . I looked through by surname and parish. Maybe a missing entry or Phillimore is wrong.

Add -no Newell ilcence

The Newell licence would have been for Hughenden. Mind you, isn't Hughenden covered by the Diocese of Oxford?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a lot of people got married by licence at Hughenden because the vicar there was quite understanding re people's earlier circumstances. Has anyone else heard similar?

Martin