Author Topic: Marriage of Damaris KING (of Chinnor, Oxon) and Thomas CARY (of Bledlow)  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Damaris KING (of Chinnor, Oxon) and Thomas CARY (of Bledlow)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 October 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
The marriage bonds that I've seen give more info than on the indexes and any conditions that should be met. Also signatures/seals.  They should be in the appropriate  Archives.

Gadget

Yes - Oxford Diocese
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 October 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
The marriage bonds that I've seen give more info than on the indexes and any conditions that should be met. Also signatures/seals.  They should be in the appropriate  Archives.

Gadget

Yes - Oxford Diocese

Just been on the Buckinghamshire Archives website – it appears that nothing to do with Damaris and Thomas Newell's licence has survived. Or, of course, as you said, Phillimore might be wrong.  :(

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 October 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
Are there any wills that might help?

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 October 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
No, nothing comes up for a Newell between 1740 and 1750.
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
The only possible thing I have to go on is naming conventions - the first daughter was usually named after her maternal grandmother...but the maternal grandmother of Damaris Newell (b. 1706) was either Margaret (if it's the 1671 Damaris) or Elizabeth (if it's the 1676 one). However, Margaret's mother was a Damari(a)s Stevens.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
Naming conventions aren't always followed strictly.  Damaris was the first baptism (20 Feb 1705)  of a child to them after the Sept 1704 marriage but, if it was Julian then it would be Feb 1706. Marriage would be correct.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
Naming conventions aren't always followed strictly.  Damaris was the first baptism (20 Feb 1705)  of a child to them after the Sept 1704 marriage but, if it was Julian then it would be Feb 1706. Marriage would be correct.

True - they may have named their first daughter and son after their own grandparents as opposed to the children's - Thomas's father was an Ambrose* Newell, but his father was another Thomas.

I had forgotten that they were using the Julian Calendar in England back then, and that the year number changed on 25 March.  ;D

*Ambrose was a popular name with the Newells, possibly introduced to the family when Susan Bigges, daughter of an Ambrose Bigges and Margerie Stephens, married a Christopher Newell in 1590.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 16:55 BST (UK) »
Just  a thought - there are no Margarets on the baptism list that I found. However. there is an Elizabeth:

1705 Damaris
1707 Thomas
1709 Ambrose
1710 Anne
1712 William
1714 John
1715 Elizabeth
1718 Henry
1732 Mary

Do you have access to the baptisms to double check?