Author Topic: Desperately seeking Daisy ROBERTS, nee SKETCHLEY (AKA Peggy LAMERTS/LAMERTO)  (Read 1880 times)

Offline jansel70

• RootsChat Extra
  • G'day from Gold Coast - Perfect every day!
    • View Profile
Desperately seeking Daisy ROBERTS, nee SKETCHLEY (AKA Peggy LAMERTS/LAMERTO)
« on: Wednesday 14 October 20 21:16 BST (UK) »
There’s a missing 15 years of Daisy’s life that I am keen to find out out about.

Daisy Veronica Sketchley (daughter of James Sketchley and Annie Driver) was born Nov 1902 in Perth, and at age 14, married Owen Griffith Roberts also in Perth in August 1917. They had one child, Owen Ronald Roberts in June 1918.

They divorced in 1921 and there’s numerous reports of the case in WA newspapers in Trove from August to October of that year.

The next record I can find of Daisy is in the Aust. Electoral Rolls in Sydney in 1936 & 1937.

She died of TB in 1939 - in Prince Henry Hospital, Little Bay, Sydney. The death transcription shows she was also known as “Peggy Lamerts (maybe Lamerto). The informant on the DC was a ‘Hospital Clerk’.

It seems that she became estranged from the family after the divorce, and her son was bought up by her mother. It’s also possible that she partnered up with someone with the surname Lamerts/Lamerto or some similar sounding name, but I can’t nail down any likely candidates.

Would really appreciate any help or suggestions that might help to fill in these missing 15 years from when she was divorced in Perth in 1921 and re-appeared in Sydney in 1936.

Regards ….. Sel

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Daisy ROBERTS, nee SKETCHLEY (AKA Peggy LAMERTS/LAMERTO)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
I dont know if it will help your sesrch but did you know that Daisy and Peggy are both used as short forms for Margaret

Good luck.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Daisy ROBERTS, nee SKETCHLEY (AKA Peggy LAMERTS/LAMERTO)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 20 04:25 BST (UK) »
What is on the death certificate that enables you to identify these two events to be for the same woman?

WA BDM marriage
ROBERTS   Owen   marr.     SKETCHLEY   Daisy   Perth   449   1917

NSW BDM death
853/1939   LAMERTO Peggy   parents James David / Annie    @ Redfern

How did this death attract your interest?

"..The next record I can find of Daisy is in the Aust. Electoral Rolls in Sydney in 1936 & 1937."
What name are you seeing on the electoral roll?

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 20 04:54 BST (UK) »
Death 3/3/1939
853/1939 Daisy Veronica ROBERTS; James David; Annie; Redfern
853/1939 Peggy LAMERTO; James David; Annie; Redfern

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 20 05:13 BST (UK) »

https://easternsuburbsmemorialpark.worldsecuresystems.com/finding-loved-ones
Daisy Veronica ROBERTS  buried   7/03/1939   
ADDD - Anglican FM DDD, ADDD - Anglican FM DDD, Position 0451

You should contact the cemetery to see if there are other burials in this plot.

From the death certificate....can you please list all the information. It would be useful to see what else the informant knew.  Can you be sure to indicate if some headings are left blank.....shown as a dash...."unknown" is written.

How long had Daisy been in hospital / under treatment etc?

Online CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 20 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi The Botany (Easterns Suburbs)Cemetery Website records her burial
https://easternsuburbsmemorialpark.worldsecuresystems.com/finding-loved-ones

Daisy Veronica Roberts
07/03/1939  Buried
ADDD - Anglican FM DDD, ADDD - Anglican FM DDD, Position 0451

Maybe you could contact the Cemetery to see if anybody else is buried in the same plot

Cass

PS Wivenhoe  "great minds think alike"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 05:36 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)

You both posted at the same time. 

Well Done to both.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 20 06:27 BST (UK) »
May be worth checking this chap?
NSW death 3114/1955 Victor Francis LAMERTO; 59YEARS; DARLINGHURST PADDINGTON

Several articles about Victor Francis Lamerto.... charged with murder but later discharged due to lack of crucial evidence a “Yellowish Gaberdine Overcoat”
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103424698
... Lamerto is 33 years of age, a native of Russia. He has been in Australia since 1913, when he deserted a ship in Western Australia, and had been living at the same address as the murdered girl for nine months. He was an unemployed laborer.....

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/206129992
SAVED BY LACK OF YELLOWISH GABERDINE OVERCOAT
RUSSIAN SPARED ORDEAL OF MURDER TRIAL
CORONER BAFFLED BY MYSTERY OF GIRL'S FIENDISH KILLING IN PARK
TWO WITNESSES IN CONFLICT
BECAUSE VICTOR  Francis Lamerto, or Januschevsky, does not possess a "yellowish gaberdine overcoat", the law no longer holds him as the man suspected of the crime of murder...

Several articles about the murder (and others about Victor Francis Lamerto, charged with uttering/possessing counterfeit coins)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/category/newspapers?keyword=%22VICTOR%20FRANCIS%20Lamerto%22&sortBy=dateAsc&startPos=60

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=-T-zDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT19&lpg=PT19&dq=%22VICTOR+FRANCIS+Lamerto%22&source=bl&ots=chkDhBhpXw&sig=ACfU3U3r6nLWNDBuYN1GV_iDhMA_KTfCwA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQi42I77XsAhWCXSsKHSnFCxIQ6AEwAnoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=%22VICTOR%20FRANCIS%20Lamerto%22&f=false

Offline jansel70

• RootsChat Extra
  • G'day from Gold Coast - Perfect every day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all the posts so far ... much appreciated.

To brigidmac:
"I dont know if it will help your search but did you know that Daisy and Peggy are both used as short forms for Margaret".
- I was aware of the use of Peggy for Margaret but not Daisy, so thanks for that.

To wivenhoe:
"What is on the death certificate that enables you to identify these two events to be for the same woman?"
- I don't have a formal DC. I have a full transcription from a NSW Transcription agent. The Index references (853/1939) are the same

"How did this death attract your interest?"
- I'm assisting a good friend with his family research. Daisy is his grandmother on the Roberts side and while he never met her, he is keen to find out more about her.

"The next record I can find of Daisy is in the Aust. Electoral Rolls in Sydney in 1936 & 1937."
What name are you seeing on the electoral roll?"
- Daisy Veronica Roberts, Bumborah Point, Yarra Bay; Occupation HD. It's the same info on both rolls.

"From the death certificate....can you please list all the information. It would be useful to see what else the informant knew.  Can you be sure to indicate if some headings are left blank.....shown as a dash...."unknown" is written."

Here's the DC Transcription Info (verbatim):
Registration No. - 00853.
Date of Death - 3 Mar 1939.
Place of Death - The Prince Henry Hospital, Little Bay, Municipality of Randwick, Late of Yarra Bay, Municipality of Randwick.
Name - Daisy Veronica Roberts;. Also known as Peggy Lamerts (sic).
Occupation - Left blank.
Sex - Female.
Age - 36.
Cause of Death - Pulmonary Tuberculosis, Periferal (sic) Neuritis, Cardiac Failure.
Duration - Admitted to Hospital 24 Feb 1939.
Medical Attendant - R.R. Bye; 3 Mar 1939.
Father - James David Sketchley.
Father's Occupation - Butcher.
Mother - Maiden Name - Annie (surname not listed).
Informant - A. McWhinney, Clerk, The Prince Henry Hospital; Registered 10 Mar 1939, Redfern.
When Buried - 7 Mar 1939.
Where Buried - Church of England Cemetery, Botany.
Undertaker - Wood, Coffill Limited.
Minister - J.F.G. Huthnance.
Religion - Church of England.
Witnesses - David Rattray; R.M. Tomlin.
Where Born - Perth, Western Australia.
Time in Colony/Sate - Left blank
Place Married - Married; Particulars unknown.
Age at Marriage - Left blank
Spouse - Left blank.
Children of Marriage - Unknown.
Other Comments - Peggy Lamerts might have been Peggy Lamerto.

"How long had Daisy been in hospital / under treatment etc?"
- Answered above.

To wivenhoe and CassT:
"Maybe you could contact the Cemetery to see if anybody else is buried in the same plot".
- Thanks, I'll do that. However, there is a Find a Grave record for Daisy which shows a photo of an unmarked grave at that plot location. Daisy's three siblings and her parents are all buried in W.A. She was estranged from the family after the divorce.

Again ... many thanks to all the responses. This is such a great forum!
... Sel