Author Topic: Desperately seeking Daisy ROBERTS, nee SKETCHLEY (AKA Peggy LAMERTS/LAMERTO)  (Read 1882 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Daisy ROBERTS, nee SKETCHLEY (AKA Peggy LAMERTS/LAMERTO)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 16 October 20 07:33 BST (UK) »
While the following information may not help much with Daisy, it may assist in supporting or otherwise whether Victor Francis LAMERTO was connect with her.

Victor Francis LAMERTO arrived in Fremantle per SS ALBIN in 1913
Per SS Albin 1913
National Archives Australia
(Applications for registration (Aliens Registration files) (Forms A1, B1 and C), alphabetical series by nationality)

By 1922 he was in Victoria with one Ethel May HYAMS forging and passing fake coins.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/95406394

Ethel was a widow whose husband had been killed in war service. Afer this case, she seems to have ended the relationship.

The events of 1932 are already documented.

In 1942, a jury was required in Darlinghurst Quarter Sessions in the cases of Victor Fancis La MERTO and Elsa Yvonne La MERTO.
EDIT to add omitted link
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17808099

Elsa Yvonne La MERTO had entered Australia at Melbourne in 1919.

National Archives Australia

Elsa Voney La Merto [Latvian - arrived Melbourne per SS ARRATTA in 1919. Box 159]
Applications for registration (Aliens Registration files) (Forms A1, B1 and C), alphabetical series by nationality

In 1940 there is this marriage  ???

Elsa Yvonne WATSON
Victor Francis La MARTO
Marriage Place:
New South Wales At Redfern, New South Wales
1940 /10554

In 1954 Victor Francis La MERTO announced his intention to apply for naturalisation.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/248767646
He lived in Surry Hills NSW.

ADDING
A link with more information about Ethel May HYAMS
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66721698

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jansel70

• RootsChat Extra
  • G'day from Gold Coast - Perfect every day!
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Daisy ROBERTS, nee SKETCHLEY (AKA Peggy LAMERTS/LAMERTO)
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 October 20 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you, thank you Sue for all this info. Your research skills are a notch or two above mine!
Lamerto / La Merto / Januschevsky ..... all records seem to point to the same person. I just need to timeline all  the data uncovered to get a clearer picture.
And yes ... still no direct connection with Daisy.
Very grateful for the effort you have go to.
.... Sel

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 October 20 07:59 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any evidence of a connection with Daisy and Victor LAMERTO, however it's such an unusual name and they were both in Sydney in the 1930s so it seems very possible that they were connected. Some of thee information below has already been posted but I though it worth collecting together.

Newspaper reports give an alternative name for him -  Janus Chansky, (although these two names are written as one in some newspaper reports) and in another report  Jamuschersky, - and he was reported to have jumped ship in WA in 1913.

We have Daisy born in WA in 1902

Victor was in Melbourne in 1922,described as a seaman and convicted of uttering forged coins with Ethel May HYAMS
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/95406394

In 1927 in Sydney he was convicted again of uttering forged coins; sentenced to two years imprisonment.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/195220916

In 1932 is the arrest and charge of murder of which he was later acquitted.  At the time of the murder he had been living for the previous nine months at the same 'residential' (boarding house type accommodation, I assume) as the murdered girl in Liverpool St, Darlinghurst.  He is described then as unemployed.

Then in 1955 is the death as already posted
1955 #3114 registered at DARLINGHURSTPADDINGTON
Victor Francis LAMERTO, aged 59

There is also this marriage, with slightly incorrect spelling.
1940 #10554, registered Redfern
Victor Francis LAMARTO, Elsa Yvonne WATSON

I cannot see a naturalisation for him using surname LAMERTO but that wouldn't be unusual back then.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 October 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
  :)

National Archives in Canberra ... online index has the surname as two words
LA    MERTO  ;D 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 16 October 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Elsa Yvonne from Latvia Watson unlikely to be her original name

Victor mentioned as from Riga Russia .
Riga is now capital of Latvia but was Russian

In WW1 Wales my Latvian great grandfather was arrested for being an alien ....in an unauthorized place.

Maybe not same in Australia but

aliens had to register when they moved towns .His original papers/passport only had name of town & he couldn't prove he was Russian Latvian ...not German !

Jamuschersky is unusual could be Jewish too.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 October 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
NSW Police Gazettes digitised images are still freely available via Trove.   ;D 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 16 October 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
Back to post 1 re the divorce
Was it on grounds of adultery ?

Does your friend suspect they may have half cousins somewhere ?

Have they done DNA?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 16 October 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
In my opinion the most notable and vaguely significant factor ( or coincidence!) linking your Daisy to this man is that Daisy died in 1939 and the marriage of Elsa and Victor was shortly after (1940) despite the fact Elsa and Victor were seemingly acquainted in some way years before then.

You should also look for interest  at the area  of Bumborah Point, Botany at the time of Daisy's residence. It seems not very comfortable in a general residential sense.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk