Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 14th October  (Read 968 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 14th October
« on: Wednesday 14 October 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
Early one tonight

It was bright and sunny this morning, a welcome change from the heavy rain of the last few days. Put some washing in, saw that the window cleaner was on his way so opened up for him to get round the back. When he'd been I decided to go and have a walk on the beach. Low tide had been a couple of hours earlier but there would still be plenty of beach to walk on. Locked up and off I went.

Parked up and walked down the slipway, hoping that I'd worn the right clothes, it's difficult to judge what it will be like but it wasn't windy so I didn't have to factor that in. There was still a wide expanse of sand, it was wet in a lot of places and the sun gave it a lovely sheen.Iit was hard to tell from a distance whether there were pools of water, it turned out there weren't, it was just wet. Further along I could see a paraglider over the edge of the beach near the cliffs, he was heading in the direction I'd come from. Stood and watched him for a few minutes, he went quite a long way past and I thought I'd lose sight of him. When I turned back I could see that he had done so too, it's amazing how a parachute can be steered. When I got back to my own starting point he was almost back to where I'd first seen him. Really enjoyed my walk on the beach.

Was hungry when I got home so had some lunch before doing anything else. Portioned the rest of the chilli I made yesterday and put it in the freezer.

I wasn't happy with the painting I'd started in art class, there was a slight mistake that I couldn't correct so I started it again, it didn't take too long. Photographed it to send to my art teacher, asked for confirmation or otherwise of the colours I thought I should use next.

My friend L phoned, she knew I would be upset that my recently expanded life will be curtailed again because of the new restrictions. We only managed to do one art class together before this happened, not particularly surprising but still frustrating. Heaven knows when I'll get to meet up with her again.

Chicken and pasta for tea, usual TV. Last night I finished the book I was reading in bed, This Magnificent Dappled Sea by David Biro, it was really good, nothing to do with the sea. I got it free with my Prime trial, the release date isn't till 1st November. Will read a different genre next.

Hope it's been a good day for others.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 14th October
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 20 00:04 BST (UK) »
How lovely to be able to have a beautiful walk along the beach, so invigorating ... you’re right it is amazing how just a parachute can be steered... rather them than me although I bet it gives quite an adrenaline felling... we’ve watched them off the cliffs in Brighton where my SiL lives...
Shame about your art class with your friend... I just wonder how long before we’re in the next phase!

The weather was quite pleasant this morning so got on with some jobs... I decided to unpack the new vacuum whilst OH had FaceTime with our son in Oz as he’d missed out on Sunday... they talk rugby and golf and tech stuff so nice for them to have their own chat!...
my new duvet cover arrives so it’s left in the hallway to isolate...
 back to the vacuum... it all looks very nice certainly got a good selection of heads to go with it.... but at the price it was I’m almost expecting it to do itself..
Once OH had finished we had a look to see where in the garage it could go... he’s going to need to change a single socket into a double... just want to check some wiring technicalities with our friend before hand...
Had some lunch....
Door bell goes wonder who it is... oh yes window cleaner (snap Roobarb) forgotten he was coming... good job as windows looking pretty awful...
OH disappears off to get new twin socket...
Took the opportunity to search for old pics of him and family to scan for daughters b’day project for him...
SiL sends me a video of her message to him instead of uploading it to site for daughter to do! Teased them about having a glass of wine in their hands in the early a/noon and said I hoped it was just for show as otherwise I’d be worrying about them... she assured me it was...
Once O.H back electric off so he can fit new socket...
Once back in got on with sewing three stuffed elephants  using 🌈 scraps ... they look quite sweet...
Vacuum charging dock all done now need to charge it up ready for use tomorrow...🤞
Dinner tonight was Thai chicken with rice and sugar snap peas..
Watched tv... Netflix series called The last Dance all about the Basket Ball player Michael Jordan... wonderful player... in another life OH was basket ball player for Surrey and Crystal Palace... got as far as England trials but at 5’10” considered too small... his best billing was 6’1”! The  programme brought back lots of happy memories as it was a large part of our life in the early days... finally gave up playing when our son was about 4 yrs old...
Finishing off another blanket for the hospital or refuge centre wherever needed most..
Can’t believe it’s had the audacity to rain on my clean windows... typical 😤😤!

Looking forward to reading others diary entries...
Stay safe everyone...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 20 00:46 BST (UK) »
Caroline, is your new vacuum is a cordless Dyson stick?

We’ve had Dysons for years and still have our first Dyson (first generation) upright downstairs - unsurprising, not working.  :)

My favourite is our little old handheld - still working despite just about everything having been replaced over the years. It is coming to the end of its natural life - so no more spare parts or support when it breaks.

I do like our Dyson stick, though I always found Dyson don’t pick up little hard things - small stones, peas etc. Each new model that comes out seems to address previous issues so at least they must listen to feedback, and we’ve always found their customer service to be excellent.

The bonus for me is that when we first got the cordless vacuum, OH wanted to play with it .... Years later, he still does the majority of the vacuuming. Maybe you could get your OH to do the same?  ;D

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 20 01:16 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know I am back.
On Monday I had to get my arm checked by a doctor. They wanted to check the site that they entered to do the angioplasty on the 6th. Well, I was there 2 minutes and an ambulance was called for me. I had an arterial bleed and needed urgent hospital treatment.  My problem is that they could not do an Anagram as I react badly to the contrast dye. I now have to get a new Medic alert bracelet and have this added. Finally got home last night. Still sore.
Sorry to hear about your new lockdown protocols. During our lockdown, I cleaned out my house of all the things I did not need. When the lockdown was over I took 3 carloads of excess to our local charity shops.
Just a small post from me as not good one-handed.
Stay strong Stay safe.
Carol(NZ)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 20 05:53 BST (UK) »
Oh Carol. That’s awful. :(

So sorry to hear of your health problems.

I hope you will be on the mend soon.  :)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 20 06:53 BST (UK) »
In reply to your question Ruskie - yes it is a Dyson cordless... I shall be interested to see how it works at picking up thread as my current Dyson is rubbish at it... the old Henry I’ve got is ready for the skip sadly as it has a very powerful motor, used to be used in our factory, so brought it home when we left our premises.... I bought a cordless so I didn’t need the two I’ve got at the moment...

Carol - nice to see you back and sorry to hear you’ve been having problems needing another hospital visit... hope you’re now back on the mend... take care of yourself... you’re very kind thinking of others with everything you and your family are dealing with at tge moment.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
Sounds like  you enjoyed your walk Roobarb, hope the endorphins lasted for a while. We are lucky to be near the sea and able to enjoy it. (It's rather wild here again!)
I hope the new vacuum cleaner works well Caroline. Apparently EU regs prevent manufacture of home vacs with decent powerful motors these days.  We bought a stick version recently, but although it cost enough, it is rubbish and we mostly struggle on with our old Dyson, though that is far from ideal, as all the Velcro fell off in the first use, years ago!!
Carol I am horrified you have yet more problems, and along with other chums here on the diary threads, I wish you well again.
Nothing much going on this end, but dry though very windy. 
I debated at length about attending a "use it or lose it" class.  The room is large with a high ceiling, and we are well spaced, but despite having our temperature taken on entry, I'm thinking I may not go again for the for seeable. Really it is the trudge up the hill getting home, which is probably the most useful aspect of it all.
Hope everyone has a reasonable day. 
What if....... someone choose a song with a well known chorus, and we all elect to sing with gusto at a certain time??  ;) 
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hope the new vacuum cleaner lives up to its price tag Caroline!  Very impressed to hear about your OH's basketball playing days.

Carol, so sorry to hear about your problems, hope you feel much better soon.

Mowsehowse - how about that fabulous Queen song 'We are the Champions' ? Not sure if I'd sing it out loud, my neighbours would think I've gone batty! Actually they might think that already  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 20 11:23 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I presume one of those special heads with the spiky bristles is the one which will pick up the threads - the one which is also for dog hair (but winds the hairs round and round the round brush making them difficult to remove)?  ;D