Author Topic: Unfamiliar names in my Grandmas DNA test  (Read 1369 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Unfamiliar names in my Grandmas DNA test
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 October 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hope you dont mind me asking is the neice a full niece or once removed

How do you and she relate whar cm level ? How strong is neices connection to unknown match

If you look at dna painter chart
 full neice is usually higher ...close to grand child level s

maybe known neice s parent was a half sibling of your grandma

Unknown neice could be from an unknown half sibling !

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 October 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
Heres a clip of dna painter chart
If it will attach  hope that helps

Could your nan and the neices mother be half sisters not full sisters .

One of their parents may have married before .

So if your grans child is first husband s child names wont match the new surname

Good luck ...come back for more help if you get stuck

guest189040

« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:05 BST (UK) »
Do remember that Civil Registration of BMD’s commenced in Scotland on 1st Jan 1855 so quite a bit later than England and Wales.

Additionally to the advice given so far is being diligent in your tree with BMD inclusions, baptisms, census records as a minimum for each person with each record having multiple citations if possible.

I went back to 1841 with all my direct ancestors, obtained certs where there was doubt and one for my Great Grandmother confirmed she was illegitimate and hence I have the huge black hole in my tree.

Once I was confident my tree was correct I then expanded it sideways, generation by generation.  Even then years later I found out my Paternal Grandmother had two Brothers we never knew about, we had seen them on the census records but never with their parents and it was only later in filling in the blanks mode that they came to life via an Ancestry search with only the family name, mothers maiden name and a search period of marriage year plus 10 with a tolerance of +/- 10 and the Registration Town or County, I use this technique a lot on the DNA matches to work out who those shown as Private in the matches tree really are.

Now the hard part, for each of the sideways family members I work out their BMD records as normal then add as much info as I can.

Having quite an extensive sideways Family Tree at Grandparent, Great Grandparent and Great Great Grandparent really helps in the DMA matching quest. 

Alas Certificates do not always tell the truth, hence just because someone is registered as being the parent does not necessarily mean they are, there was a lot of stigma involved and hence anomalies come to the surface which with the advancement of science  these now come to light and confuse the heck out of us.

Today I was doing my usual DNA trawl and clicked on a 80 cM match, then clicked on Shared Matches and at the bottom of the list was a 14cM with a tree of 1200 people so I clicked on them and looked at their tree and going back four generations a surname that I recognised from my sideways tree so had a branch mapped out to them very quickly.  The odd thing is we both had the same Common Ancestors, word for word, identical spelling, correct dates and locations yet Ancestry never showed this DNA match as having a Common Ancestor with me.  Hence Ancestry makes mistakes and has bugs as you are aware from my Bug thread.

What I have been doing today is to use the Note feature to add the Common Ancestors names to a DNA match who is now in a branch of my tree or I add the County where I believe the Matches and my Common Ancestor originates from, I use the Shared Matches to help deduce what to include.  Doing this whenever I am viewing a Colour Coded Group then the line of their data includes the Note text which makes it easy to compare to the others in the Group.

I have 41 DNA Matches now in my tree and of them 27 are Cheshire based, 11 are Yorkshire and 3 North Lancashire, sadly my Welsh connection yields zero DNA Matches so far.

Stick with it and when the grey matter hurts, park the problem and move on, returning to it with fresh eyes.

My own anomaly, my 364cM Maureen “Lewis” match has been parked since last weekend.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 October 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Another advantage about your family being Scottish is that they MAY  use traditional naming systems which.can help lead to grandparents espescially if they include surnames

But DONT assume first daughter is named after mothers mother
And second daughter after fathers daughter

In your case the first daughter may be named after the first wifes mother
The second for the father might want to nsme after his own mother even if she was your greatgranmas first child or they compromised and took first name of one grandma and surname of the other which from.your ancestry tree looks like MAY  have happened

Ps I copied dna painter from screenshot from another rootschatter so its not my surname interests showing
Or the correct circles for your case

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 October 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Jade from information you gave + searching SP
There are two marriages in Glasgow may be  for your great grandfather 
both have first names Ann

So could his middle name be McPHERSON. do you have any dna matches with that name

How about ROBERTSON  or URQUHART ?

This is assumimg they married around Glasgow 

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
Jade has posted on handwriting board if anyone is interested in the names that link to this dna story

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=838957.0