Author Topic: DNA - What's the point?  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA - What's the point?
« on: Thursday 15 October 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
Morning All,

I'm sure I must be missing something here so I'm hoping someone can help me.

My daughter bought me an Ancestry DNA test as a birthday present, I've just had the results back and don't really see any new information.

It's told me I'm a mix of English, Scottish, Irish with a bit of Sweden and Norway mixed in, nothing I couldn't have guessed at really. I've linked my tree to the results for something called thrulines but can't see anything.

What am I missing? Surely for the price they charge there must be more to it than telling me I'm from the UK?

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - What's the point?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
The point of the DNA tests is to discover people you share DNA with (relatives) not any 'ethnicity' nonsense. There is no 'Scottish' or 'Irish' gene, there is just the likelihood that if you have a match with someone who has said their ancestors were from a certain place, then yours are too. Nothing to do with the DNA.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot, in that case I must definately be missing something as I can't see any relatives being suggested anywhere at all.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
You are looking at the wrong “part” of your DNA results, the ethnicity is more or less rubbish as there is no such thing as ethnicity for countries. The countries forming the UK for instance have been invaded, migrated into, enjoyed traders coming in and out for centuries. These people have consorted with the native peoples to the extent that it is doubtful whether any DNA from the first settlers in the UK countries is left.

To get any benefit out of DNA forget about ethnicity and concentrate on the raw data which is passed down to you from your ancestors, like pieces of a jigsaw, how much you share with another person.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guy, so really I don't need the DNA then, I can just concentrate on the non DNA methods?

I can't see anything other than the ethnicity bit when I log in.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
It depends what you are looking for. 
Personally I have narrowed down an unknown father.  I now know all my great grandparents, just missing which of their five sons is my grandfather. 
I have confirmed research showing that my 2times great grandmother had siblings who followed her out to Australia.  I had argued with a cousin about that. 
Found that my grandmother didn’t ask strangers to be executors of her will but a cousin and the husband of another cousin.
Confirmed people in an address book of my mothers I found were relatives.
Found more relatives that I didn’t know about.
All this in about two years.  It takes time.  I’ve recently had an argument with thru lines as it kept following my step grandfathers line, not biological.  Probably because that is how my half first cousins and others know it.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:33 BST (UK) »
It can’t be the case that you don’t have any DNA matches, surely?

If you click on DNA along the top menu of the Ancestry home page, it should take you to a DNA page which has various boxes.

Mine are: DNA Story, DNA Matches and Thrulines, respectively.

Does yours look different from this?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
Better with the Y DNA test!

Skoosh.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone,

I've just had a look to see what headings I have and found the DNA matches seems to have populated since my last look with a number of 4th - 6th cousins.

Is that the sort of thing everyone else sees?

Michael