Author Topic: DNA - What's the point?  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - What's the point?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 October 20 10:37 BST (UK) »
Click on DNA matches, then shared DNA on the new page.  It shows you the numbers.
My son has 11,000 matches, 270 fourth cousin or better.

Where do you see the total number of matches? I can only see a number for 4th cousin and closer on mine.

NB 4th cousin & closer is misleading, as it includes matches assessed as likely 4th-6th cousins.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 October 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks! Turns out I have 12,747 matches in total.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 October 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Ok, thanks for the help everyone.

Hopefully it will prove worth while then.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 October 20 11:12 BST (UK) »
Your matches only show up on thru lines if you have spelt and dated them the same as your DNA match
For example if you have Margaret smith 1900 & your 2nd cousin twice removed has Peggy smith on their tree and your son has Peggy margaret smith    thru lines wont show or if one has 1905
I recommend using full name and the also known as option in facts section for each person .

Or changing the spellimgs on your profile s occasionally to see if different thru lines show up

Btw I disagree with the comments about ethnicity my paternal aunt is almost pure Scottish so anyone from USA etc who matches her but only has small Scottish percentage can work out which ancestor links

My mother has a European jewish grandfather and a Welsh grandfather and again the ethnicity has been a good starting point for finding common ancestor .

4th cousins may be closer than you think ...with remarriages and premarriages you may share ine grandparent and with testees being aged between 18 and 95 you could be separated by 2 generations so
4th cousin level could actually be a half cousin twice removed .

Enjoy your results
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 October 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
Ok that's great, thanks very much.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 October 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
You should also use the common ancestors filter, which utilises thrulines and other people's trees, you should be able to select common ancestors on your DNA page. But you do need to put in a good base tree in for it to work, say to all your eight great grandparents at least, using full names, birth dates and places preferably. You can then scroll down your match page and if you click the match you will get a match page which should show how you are connected on the left, it will show more information and a little basic tree if you click the names of the common ancestors. You can also click the shared matches tab on the match pages to see who you both connect to, and you can use that to start putting relatives into coloured coded groups either on each match page, or on the main DNA match list page.

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 October 20 01:55 BST (UK) »
DNA was very useful to my husband.  He discovered he had a half brother.  Out of the blue he received a phone call from someone who thought he was related to my husband but did not know how. This person had been looking for his father for over 40 years and had, with the help of a second cousin match, narrowed down his father to be one of three.  He asked if my husband was willing to do a DNA test.  Six weeks later we had results back and they confirmed that my husband's father had a son, born a year before he had married my husband's mother.   

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 October 20 09:45 BST (UK) »
Kay that's great

I wonder how men feel when discovering a child they didn't know they had .Has your husband's half  brother met up with the rest of his birth family ?

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 17 October 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
Shiny I'm guessing the daughter who gave you the test has not done one herself .She must have thought it would be helpful to you in your research ..as hopefully it will be.

Do you have other family members who are interested in genealogy
Getting a known relative ....cousin. uncle .sibling .even child does help see the relationship lines and evaluate the unknown matches.
What is your closest match at the moment
With my aunt s DNA she had very few matches at first ...& Distant ones
Now a second cousin and some thirds have shown up .