Author Topic: Marriage Record Clara BEAUCHAMP and George William AUSTIN  (Read 3472 times)

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Record Clara BEAUCHAMP and George William AUSTIN
« on: Thursday 15 October 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi experts,
I was hoping someone might have more luck finding some evidence for me on where my great grandparents were born and even their marriage certificate/record.

Clara BEAUCHAMP/BEECHAM and George William AUSTIN
Married January 22 1869, London, England (According to the birth certificate of their daughter however I cannot find any record of it when I have searched)

Clara BEAUCHAMP born 1842, England.
Father John.
Died 5 Nov 1874 Hill End, New South Wales, Australia
- This is all I know about her, I don't know where in England, can't find her on census data or a record of when she came to Australia. I am wondering if she went by a different name? I have searched many iterations of Beauchamp. I believe she had a brother Charles Beauchamp.

George William AUSTIN
Born 1828/1829, England
He was a caterer by trade and I believe he may have worked at the cafe Gunter's in London. Married there in 1869 and was in Sydney by 1870. I cannot find where and when he was born and haven't come across any mention of parents/siblings. He died with no family so he had a state burial (no one to fill in details on death certificate).

If anyone can uncover a record of birth or marriage that would be amazing. I would just love to solve this bump in my tree.
Thanks
:)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Record Clara BEAUCHAMP and George William AUSTIN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
If they married 1869 & she died 1874 that’s only a 5yr window

When was their daughter born?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 20 02:41 BST (UK) »
Looking at births from 1837 to 1848 for Clara/Clare/Clarabel with surnames vaguely resembling BEAUCHAMP on FreeBMD and GRO there are:
BEESON Clara, Mar qtr 1842 Amersham vol 6 p310, mmn MILES
(died Jun qtr 1842 Amersham vol 6 p205, age 0)
BEACHIM Clara, Jun qtr 1845 Frome vol 10 p405, mmn PENNYMAN
(probably BEACHIM Clara Frances married Dec qtr 1880 Barton Regis vol 6a p214)
BELSHAM Clara, Dec qtr 1845 St James Westminster vol 1 p77, mmn GRAVATT
(probably BELSHAM Clara married Sep qtr 1870 St Saviour vol 1d p233)
BELCHAM Clara Selina, Mar qtr 1847 Strand vol 1 p417, mmn EAST
(no further information yet found)
BIRCHAM Clara Margaretta, Sep qtr 1848 Erpingham vol 13 p104, mmn WEBB
(probably BIRCHAM Clara Margaret married Dec qtr 1879 Marylebone vol 1a p1042)

and some marriages:
Sep qtr 1856 Axbridge vol 5c p961 BEAUCHAMP Richard Williams on same page as LOTT Clara, BIRTILL Sam, SPRATT Hannah
(discounted - 1861 Census has Richard & Hannah BEACHAM, Samuel & Clara BIRTILL)
Sep qtr 1867 Clerkenwell vol 1b p991 BEAUCHAMP George Thomas on same page as BATEMAN Clara Elizabeth, CRESSWELL Charles, WAGGOT Jane
(no further information yet found, but 1871 Census has Charles and Jane CRESSWELL)
Sep qtr 1867 Windsor vol 2c p734 BEAUCHAMP Thomas on same page as WARNER Clara, CURTIS George, BUCKLAND Jane Martha
(discounted - 1861 Census has Thomas and Jane BEAUCHAMP)

So, nothing conclusive yet, but one birth and one marriage could be worth following up.

I'm off to bed - I'll have another look after the weekend if no-one's cracked it!

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 20 07:02 BST (UK) »
If they married 1869 & she died 1874 that’s only a 5yr window

When was their daughter born?

They had a son born in 1870 in Sydney who died as an infant. Their only surviving daughter was born November 1872 in Hill End, Australia. Clara (mum) died from complications from the birth of the next daughter also named Clara. Both Clara's died within a few weeks in 1874.

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 October 20 09:16 GMT (UK) »
If Clara was an illegitimate daughter would that explain why she appears connected to the Beauchamp's of Isleworth, Middlesex but not recorded?

Her father is listed as 'John' which could be John BEAUCHAMP (d.1870) (The father of the family I've been trying to connect her to) or his son John BEAUCHAMP (d.1885) or perhaps she is the daughter of one of the elder daughters (Isabella BEAUCHAMP)

Any suggestions as to how I could follow this path?

I have obtained John's #1 will and it doesn't make any illusions to a daughter or granddaughter. I don't seem to be able to access John #2s will though he also moved to Sydney and he would have been in Sydney for the time she was in NSW.
I've looked a bit at workhouses to see if Isabella was listed.

I'm not sure what else I can look at to find Clara BEAUCHAMP's birth or marriage. Any suggestions?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 20 22:52 GMT (UK) »

This birth certificate would be useful for you. It will record age, birthplace for parents....and marriage.

NSW BDM birth
2738/1870 AUSTIN  George B L     parents George W / Clare   @  Sydney

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 03:45 GMT (UK) »
I bought the death certificate for baby George but it just confirmed the parents names and that they were in Sydney.I could look into getting more they're just annoyingly expensive but it might be my only solution.

From the other thread linked at #3

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 September 21 07:22 BST (UK) »
One year on and I still cannot solve this mystery.
If anyone can solve it, I would be really grateful.

I'm looking for any record of Clara Beauchamp prior to 1870. I believe she was born in 1842 in England.
Her father is listed as John.
She sent her child to live with Charles Beauchamp, of Sion Park Isleworth and he referred to this child as his niece in his will. However, I cannot find evidence to connect her to this family as a daughter/sister.
The only other names that may be relevant in some way, is their first son had the middle name Beauchamp Lindsay. Their surviving daughter was Florence Emily.

What I have learned since last year:
I don't believe Clara and George ever actually married - both children's certificates had different dates listed in 1869 and I cannot locate a marriage certificate. Given their age (30 and 40 years old) when they went to Australia, they possibly left existing families/marriages.

I do now know that Clara Beauchamp and George William Austin came to Australia as full paying steerage ticket holders, listed as Clara and George Austin. They sailed aboard "Planet", departing London on January 21 1870 and arrived in Brisbane May 2 1870. The appear to have land titles there that they possibly just collected and sold on as there is a record of sale.

On 29 October 1870 a son, George Beauchamp Lindsay Austin was born to Clara and George at 120
Phillips Street Sydney. Obviously conceived on the journey, meaning they didn't stay in Brisbane very long. Baby George didn't survive.

They later moved to Hill End, NSW and Clara died in 1874 from complications from child birth.

George William Austin I have nothing except he was born in Middlesex, England. He was a caterer and ran a restaurant in Hill End and a pub in Sydney briefly.

If anyone is up for the challenge, I'd be super grateful.