Author Topic: Marriage Record Clara BEAUCHAMP and George William AUSTIN  (Read 3479 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Record Clara BEAUCHAMP and George William AUSTIN
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 September 21 08:56 BST (UK) »

Which of these records do you have?

VIC BDM
7547/1898 AUSTIN Flor Emily   marr.  STEPHENSON, Saml Scott

VIC BDM   death
11725/1914  BEAUCHAMP  Marian  parents Eleanor PALTRIDGE / Elliott Richard
died  S Yarra   age 80

10849/1918  BEAUCHAMP Chas  parents Unknown / Unknown
died S Yarra   age 86

20881/1957  STEPHENSON  Florence Emily  parents  Unknown / Unknown
died Altona  age 83

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 September 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
Which do I have transcripts for or which do I know?

I have the transcript of Samuel and Florences wedding and Florence's birth certificate.
I have the will of Charles Beauchamp but not any other of his or Marian's certificates.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 September 21 23:26 BST (UK) »

Can you please list all the information on this document -

VIC BDM
7547/1898 AUSTIN Flor Emily   marr.  STEPHENSON, Saml Scott

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 September 21 00:18 BST (UK) »
Samuel Scott Stephenson
bachelor
Born: Surrey, England (he wasn't born in England, this is unusual but maybe confused Brighton Vic with Brighton uK?)
Lives: 136 Anderson St, South Yarra
Parents: Edward Stephenson, Caroline Scott
Fathers position: Gardener

Florence Emily Austin
spinster
Born: Hill End, New South Wales
Living: 21 Alexander St, South Yarra
Parents: George Austin
Clara Beauchamp
Fathers position: Contractor

Married by Albert James Abbott at 422 Queen St Melbourne
5th of December 1989
Witnesses: John Henry Stephenson
John Charles McCall

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 September 21 02:08 BST (UK) »
Trove  .........address 21 Alexander St   finds Brighton Villa  ..... boarders

Where and how do you locate Florence Emily AUSTIN between leaving Hill End  1875, and her marrying in Melbourne 1898?

The death certificate for Florence Emily STEPHENSON would record her years in Victoria...and other states.

Where and how do you locate Charles BEAUCHAMP between mid 1870s in Queensland,  and 1887, newspaper notice for death of his nephew John BEAUCHAMP in Melbourne?

The death  certificate for Charles BEAUCHAMP, died 1918, would record years in Victoria. I suspect that the death certificate for his wife Marian, died 1914, might be better for this purpose because her husband is alive to be a likely informant.

Charles BEAUCHAMP died Melbourne 1918, and his death on VIC Index does not record his parents names.  His headstone records his birth date and place, and date of arrival in Melbourne and name of ship.

When he dies there is no one around to give good information for his death certificate?......but he gets such an informative headstone? 

I suppose source of that information might be Florence Emily STEPHENSON nee AUSTIN, which would suggest that she has knowledge of her BEAUCHAMP ancestry.

Would that seem to be at odds with the death index entry for Florence Emily STEPHENSON, where her family would be the informants and they cannot name her parents?

Sydney Morning Herald 15 Apr 1885 p1
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13579970?
BEAUCHAMP.-John BEAUCHAMP, oven builder, Sydney, eldest son of the late John BEAUCHAMP, Esq., of Sion Park, Isleworth, Middlesex, England, who was killed suddenly by being accidentally run over on Friday, April 10, 1885, aged 64 years. Widower.

NSW BDM death
867/1885   BEAUCHAMP John  age 64 years  died Sydney

Florence Emily AUSTIN has uncle Charles BEAUCHAMP. Florence also has uncle John BEAUCHAMP in Sydney at the time of her mother Clara's  death.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 September 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
On your Ancestry tree you seem to say that George William AUSTIN, son of Thomas and Elizabeth AUSTIN married GILLIMORE in 1838.
He was born in 1829 /1830 so would be 8 years old.

It seems more likely he married Mary Ann JAMES in 1854 in Chelsea 1a/241

You will see a likely couple on 1861 census with a child, Elizabeth J. aged 6 years.
He was born in Middlesex and his wife in Wales.
His occupation is private attendant.

In 1851 Mary Ann JAMES was servant in the home of Sydney Morgan in Chelsea. Born Newton Monmouthshire, Wales.

I have not found any members of this AUSTIN family in 1871.

The usual impediment to the marriage of a couple (such as George William and Clara Beauchamp) is that one or the other is still married.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 September 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
On your Ancestry tree you seem to say that George William AUSTIN, son of Thomas and Elizabeth AUSTIN married GILLIMORE in 1838.
He was born in 1829 /1830 so would be 8 years old.

It seems more likely he married Mary Ann JAMES in 1854 in Chelsea 1a/241

You will see a likely couple on 1861 census with a child, Elizabeth J. aged 6 years.
He was born in Middlesex and his wife in Wales.
His occupation is private attendant.

In 1851 Mary Ann JAMES was servant in the home of Sydney Morgan in Chelsea. Born Newton Monmouthshire, Wales.

I have not found any members of this AUSTIN family in 1871.

The usual impediment to the marriage of a couple (such as George William and Clara Beauchamp) is that one or the other is still married.

Sue

Hi Sue,
Thanks. I meant to delete that, I'm not sure what i've done there :) In my written documents I had also come to the conclusion of Mary Ann James and them having a daughter Elizabeth. It looks as if Elizabeth marries in 1888 and lists her father as 'deceased' and she dies herself two years later.
I think given the secretive nature of them, George has maybe left Mary Ann and  Elizabeth behind and fled with Clara.

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 September 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
Trove  .........address 21 Alexander St   finds Brighton Villa  ..... boarders

Where and how do you locate Florence Emily AUSTIN between leaving Hill End  1875, and her marrying in Melbourne 1898?

The death certificate for Florence Emily STEPHENSON would record her years in Victoria...and other states.

Where and how do you locate Charles BEAUCHAMP between mid 1870s in Queensland,  and 1887, newspaper notice for death of his nephew John BEAUCHAMP in Melbourne?

The death  certificate for Charles BEAUCHAMP, died 1918, would record years in Victoria. I suspect that the death certificate for his wife Marian, died 1914, might be better for this purpose because her husband is alive to be a likely informant.

Charles BEAUCHAMP died Melbourne 1918, and his death on VIC Index does not record his parents names.  His headstone records his birth date and place, and date of arrival in Melbourne and name of ship.

When he dies there is no one around to give good information for his death certificate?......but he gets such an informative headstone? 

I suppose source of that information might be Florence Emily STEPHENSON nee AUSTIN, which would suggest that she has knowledge of her BEAUCHAMP ancestry.

Would that seem to be at odds with the death index entry for Florence Emily STEPHENSON, where her family would be the informants and they cannot name her parents?

Sydney Morning Herald 15 Apr 1885 p1
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13579970?
BEAUCHAMP.-John BEAUCHAMP, oven builder, Sydney, eldest son of the late John BEAUCHAMP, Esq., of Sion Park, Isleworth, Middlesex, England, who was killed suddenly by being accidentally run over on Friday, April 10, 1885, aged 64 years. Widower.

NSW BDM death
867/1885   BEAUCHAMP John  age 64 years  died Sydney

Florence Emily AUSTIN has uncle Charles BEAUCHAMP. Florence also has uncle John BEAUCHAMP in Sydney at the time of her mother Clara's  death.

Thanks for writing.
I haven't been able to locate Florence, she was pulled out of school in Hill End in 1875 and that's the last I can find of her. I have tried to locate her on immigration docs perhaps taking a ship from Sydney to Melbourne but have had no luck.
I'm not sure if she went to Melbourne as a young child or her and George lived together. Like you said, there was also Beauchamps in Sydney that she may have connected with.

I had found a record of a George Austin aboard the “Corea” from Sydney to Melbourne on 16 November 1878. Not sure if it is him. No record of Florence. He then turns up Sydney in 1880 and 1884 after which point I believe he was living and working in Sydney.

Charles was in Melbourne by 1875 as I can find him in the Sand Directory but I'm not too sure of the details. He has a few court cases he was attached to.

Weirdly in 1903 when George W dies in Sydney he has an inquest into his death and is given a pauper's burial. You would question why Florence wasn't named in a will or used as an informant on his death certificate.

Maybe its worth chasing up Florence and Marion's death certificates to see what they say. Florence's seems to be light on for details.

Thanks

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 September 21 01:34 BST (UK) »

Thanks for writing.
I haven't been able to locate Florence, she was pulled out of school in Hill End in 1875 and that's the last I can find of her. I have tried to locate her on immigration docs perhaps taking a ship from Sydney to Melbourne but have had no luck.
I'm not sure if she went to Melbourne as a young child or her and George lived together. Like you said, there was also Beauchamps in Sydney that she may have connected with.

Probably Florence  in 1887

Mis F BEAUCHAMP at the Park Place Ladies College South Yarra.
Florence receives 2 prizes. Senior year.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/7944936

The school did accept boarders.  Perhaps she was one.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/139140067

Sue

EDIT
I just realised I have posted about a girl called F. BEAUCHAMP, not about Florence AUSTIN which makes the information invalid.

However, I will strike it through BUT I do note in her  marriage certificate, Florence marries in the name of AUSTIN, and correctly names her father, HOWEVER, she states he is a contractor.
He was not , of course.

It was her uncle Charles BEAUCHAMP who was the contractor.
She seems to see Charles as a father figure, I think.

It may be worth considering she used the BEAUCHAMP name.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk