Author Topic: Annandale  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Barb Duke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annandale
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 October 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
The note I have is really just a piece of paper with his name and Gentleman written on it. I dont remember writing it. I know nothing about DAVID SCOTT except from  notes from a census  Liverpool 1861. That is where I first found him whilst I was looking for his daughter Eliza> It looks like he was married twice but I am still looking. I will look into the other links you gave me. I would really like to find his mothers name and about her, where he was baptised  etc. He wasn't married in Scotland as I have his 1st marriage in Liverpool

Offline Barb Duke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 October 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
I think this is going to be harder than I thought and need to clear my brain which feels fit to burst with all I am trying to take in. Including using the laptop. Thank you all for your help, I will slowly work my way through your advice

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 20 18:49 BST (UK) »
I see that in 1841 he is in a household with Cathrine Scott, 12 and Alfred Scott, 2.

There are several Alfred Scotts born in 1838-1839, but only one in Liverpool, in the December quarter of 1838, mother's maiden surname Wharton.

That's a long gap between Cathrine and Alfred. Was Miss Wharton possibly David's second wife?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Barb Duke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 October 20 19:31 BST (UK) »
I lost everything I had on laptop when it died but when sorting pape3rs to get rid of I found some in with my college stuff ( I was a mature student). One of these pages had following written on it

CATHERINE  WHARTON
BIRTH DATE   6 JULY 1814
BAPTISED      9 JULY 1814
PLACE            ST PETERS PRIORY, LIVERPOOL
FATHER          JOHN WHARTON
MOTHER        JANE WHARTON

MARRIED        DAVID SCOTT    1837  St PHILIP LIVERPOOL

BURRIED   MARCH 17 1846   NECROPOLICE CEMETRY  LIVERPOOL
DIED OF CONSUMPTION

CHILDREN           ALFRED             1838
                          AGNES LORAIN  1844  L'POOL 20 500

on bottom of pge is written   ROOTSCHAT       ID  Barb nd password

i dont remember this page at all but it is my writting.
i am sorting these papers as I am writting this.

I  have on another page 
2nd marriage  ELIZA MCDOWALL     1846  L'POOL 20  346
WALTER  1848
ELIZA JANE    1850 L'POOL  20   459

If I get a chance over the weekend I will carry on sorting the papers and will check the reg. numbers then maybe get certs.
It is ELIZA JANE  i am interested in as she is my 3rd or 4th gt grandmother

Thankyou all for your help and being so patient with an old fool

now to other message. I am almost sure that the gap betweeb Catherine and Alfred is because for the 2 marriages

I think catherine Wharton was a Milliner

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 October 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

If Catherine Wharton was born in 1814, then Catherine could not be the mother of a child born in 1828/1829.

There are three births of children in Liverpool, mother's maiden surname Wharton, between 1837 and 1846
Alfred, 1838, December quarter
Agnes, 1841, March quarter (must have died in early infancy as she's not in the 1841 census)
Agnes Lorain, 1844, June quarter

It is clear from the 1851 census that Alfred and Agnes Lorain are brother and sister, therefore they have the same mother, therefore the age listed for Catherine in 1841 has to be wrong. (Even though it is perfectly clear in the original - see attached.) If Catherine Wharton was born on 9 July 1814, she was 26 on census day 1814, and should have been recorded as aged 25, not aged 12!

But if the 12-year-old Catherine in the 1841 census is correct, who is she, and more to the point, where is David's wife Catherine Wharton or Scott?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 October 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
From the earlier thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=812685.0 it seems clear enough that there was a John Scott married to an Agnes Lorrain who lived in the parish of Annan and had a family there between 1789 and 1799.

As your David named two daughters Agnes, and gave one of them the middle name Lorrain, it looks almost certain that these must have been his parents. I don't think the lack of a baptism record necessarily precludes your David being another child of John Scott and Agnes Lorrain.