Author Topic: Russian Flu 1890  (Read 182 times)

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Russian Flu 1890
« on: Thursday 15 October 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else come across Russian Flu of 1890?  Having collected all family information from the present backwards, I have started writing it in sentences from past to present.  It gives a whole new outlook on your research.  I came across a death of a couple in their late 20s who had died within a short time of each other.  But what really rang an alarm bell, was that I had just recorded a similar date for her fatherís death.  Google to the rescue - what was happening in 1890, or thereabouts?  Russian Flu - a pandemic that some have linked to a Coronavirus.  This really brought family history to life (or death in this case) we were living through something our forebears had also suffered.  I had a Great Grandmother who lost 3 sons, 2 daughters in law and at least 4 grandchildren - and then died herself.  All this in rural Yorkshire, but it must have been happening throughout the country, as it went on in waves for over almost 5 years.
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Flu 1890
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
Gosh what a tragic waste of life, I never knew about the Russian Flu Pandemic, many deaths of our ancestor could be attributed to this event. I must investigate deaths for that year. I find it interesting that the last pandemic was just over 100 years ago!
They must have suffered so much more than we are with over crowded living conditions and poor sanitation, it kind of puts into perspective what our current situation is and the coping mechanisms that we have in place compared to our ancestors  :-\
Thanks for sharing.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
If you search on the (free-to-use) Welsh Newspapers Online site for "russian-influenza" [enter this manually including " " - but do not cut & paste] you should be rewarded with 456 search results.

Given its prominence, and alleged effectiveness, in the advertising results, does anyone know how I can lay my hands on a bottle (or several) of Lewis's Pectoral Balsam?

Willyam

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
I did do a search on the Newspaper Archive - as you say lots of adverts.  I have searched again - this time missing out Yorkshire, and lots of reports from all over the country.  But Willyam, you may like to try "Ammoniated tincture of quinine, essence of peppermint. bromide of ammonium 40z.; spirit of sweet nitre, ioz.; simple syrup (made by boiling 11b. lump sugar in half-a-pint ..."  You have to translate, as I do not have access to the actual papers... and I am not sure what you do with it!
Carol, my family (or more correctly my husband's) were farmers/market gardeners in rural Yorks - it must have been even worse in the towns.
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire