Author Topic: 2020 REGISTRATIONS (England) Registered by County Rather Than Reg'n District  (Read 688 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello All

I have seen a recent October 2020 England Registration and enquired how the event could be Registered at another Registration District Office to the Registration District where the Event actually occurred.

Owing to a backlog in registering Deaths and other Events in some local Registration District Offices, the Event was registered at another District Office and both the Registration District and Sub-District were shown by County on the English Certificate.

So some Certificates will be Registered as before, whereas some will show the County for both Registration District and Sub-district.

Obviously the Certificate will still have address details of where the event took place and all the other usual information.

Mark

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 REGISTRATIONS (England) Registered by County Rather Than Reg'n District
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
Many Registration Districts in the modern era cover a whole county. 

An example from the fount of all knowledge
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/staffordshire.html
(and in this case Staffs means the area of the County Council so does not include Stoke-on-Trent)

STAFFORDSHIRE REGISTRATION DISTRICT
    Registration County : Staffordshire.
    Created : 1.10.2008 (from Cannock Chase, East Staffordshire, Lichfield, Newcastle under Lyme, South Staffordshire, Stafford, and Staffordshire Moorlands registration districts).   
    Sub-districts : Staffordshire
    Registers currently held at : Staffordshire (Burton), Staffordshire (Cannock), Staffordshire (Lichfield), Staffordshire (Newcastle) and Staffordshire (Stafford).

So even though they have 5 offices, they are only one formal Registration District and even Sub-District.  So they can move staff and workload in the way you suggest.  And also how I was able to register my father's death at the nearest office even though he died in hospital at the end other end of the relevant county.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline familyfind

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 REGISTRATIONS (England) Registered by County Rather Than Reg'n District
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
2019 my parents died (they were both well over 90).
Both died in the same room but six weeks apart. I registered the first in Suffolk where they lived but got refused on the second and had to go to Cambridge!
So they have different registration districts!

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
  I came across this checking a death in 2008 on the GRO site. There were various numbers which seemed to relate to districts - is there any way of finding out what they mean? I really wanted to find out where the death took place, other than the county.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 20 08:23 BST (UK) »
We had a baby recently and when we asked about registering him we were told to book a meeting online to do it. We got a date for the end of December. I have a friend whose child was born in Sept and he will be registering the baby in January due to his area's backlog of registrations.