Author Topic: John EVANS Baptism in Llanelltyd - Query on "Abode"  (Read 621 times)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John EVANS Baptism in Llanelltyd - Query on "Abode"
« on: Thursday 15 October 20 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've successfully located an ancestor, John Evans, born in Llanelltyd in 1857.  On closer inspection of the document, it states the family abode as, Maes Tryfan, (I think), with the Father, William, being a Farmer.  I started to look for the name of a farmhouse maybe....but could find nothing.  I then searched the term Maes Tryfan to find that there was a street, of 37 metres, near the village of Groelson, some 38 miles away from Llanelltyd!  (Apparently the only street in Britain with that name) - I then wondered if they would have travelled that far to baptise a child OR is it still possible that there was a building/farmhouse of that name within the village of Llanelltyd?  On the registry searches it always comes back as him being born and baptised in Llanelltyd.  Other abodes in the registry do seem to be in localities within a couple of miles from Llanelltyd, eg, Dolgellau!  Any help here would be most appreciated!   ??? TIA  :). EDIT - I believe Maes Tryfan translates to Tryfan Field - with Tryfan being a mountain, again, about 41 miles away!! 

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John EVANS Baptism in Llanelltyd - Query on "Abode"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Looking at the register the address looks like Maes Tryfar - not Tryfan.  The 'n' in other words ending in 'n' is clearly an 'n' not an 'r'

'Tryfar' is not a Welsh word as far as I know but it could be a shortened version of Tre Fawr which means big township.
It is very unlikely because of the distance from Llanelltyd to Tryfan mountain for there to be a link between the two places.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 20 21:36 BST (UK) »
Looking at the register the address looks like Maes Tryfar - not Tryfan.  The 'n' in other words ending in 'n' is clearly an 'n' not an 'r'

My thought too before I read your post zetlander.
It certainly looks like an 'r' at the end of the word and not an 'n'. It's exactly the same as the letter at the end of the next word - 'farmer'.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
 :D aha, yes, you are correct!  Just looking at the "R" in Farmer compared to the "N" in Ann and John its quite clear to see!  So, back to the drawing board lol - can't believe I didn't spot it - long day aha! 

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
I have to admit, I initially thought Murs or Muls/Mals but the search engine kept changing it to Maes and so I went with that! 

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
google  'MaestryfAr Llanelltyd'  and 'MaestryfEr Llanelltyd'

(In the register there's a hyphen between Maes and Tryfer suggesting it's one word.)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you again; I did and found a couple of interesting pages!  One suggesting it was a building within the community of Llanelltyd - "Small dormered 'A' type house and byre, probably 17th century rebuild of cruck framed hall, recess probably for stairs by fireplace".  While another map shows a general area with what looks to be a small dwelling!  So I'm guessing a small farmhouse in the general field area of Maes Tryfir/far lol

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
...and another check from the National Library of Wales does in fact state it was a farm!  Thank you for your replies - I would have still been staring at the register and not making the handwriting connection!   ;D

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
Glad you've found it!