Author Topic: Mystery soldier killed in Devizes  (Read 117 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mystery soldier killed in Devizes
« on: Friday 16 October 20 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I came across an article mentioning my great-grandad George Le Roy, in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette for the 6th of December 1941, about an incident on the 2nd of November. Edward Nisbett is charged with dangerous driving and crashing an Army vehicle into the bus George was conducting. It says that a sergeant died, but not who. Iíve searched the CGWC, but there are just too many. I canít see it reported in any other newspapers. Can anyone please help me?

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery soldier killed in Devizes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 20 01:05 BST (UK) »
I remember reading the name Carson, and saw a James Carson die in the Devizes registration district in January quarter 1942, aged 29. Thereís a James Carson, Lance Serjeant in the Scots Guards who died on the 1st of November - the day before the accident.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery soldier killed in Devizes
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 20 01:20 BST (UK) »
Yep, found his obituary - motor accident.