Author Topic: 13th Lighthorse Gippsland - Yarram to Korrumburra 1939 to 1942  (Read 139 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
13th Lighthorse Gippsland - Yarram to Korrumburra 1939 to 1942
« on: Friday 16 October 20 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Troops looking for descendants of members.
See attached photo.
Cheers
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 13th Lighthorse Gippsland - Yarram to Korrumburra 1939 to 1942
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
You could try looking for some of these people on the 1939 register. I believe both Ancestry and Findmypast have it on their site.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paco,
not on either site.
Due to covid cannot access local library either.

Cheers
Jack
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 20 21:55 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Hi,

13th Light Horse,( Gippsland ) was a Regiment in the Australian Imperial Force, WW1, so I would not expect to find their details on the 1939 Registers on either Ancestry or Find My  Past,  as that register is for the United Kingdom.

RChat is all about helping research our deceased ancestors and it is likely that there are living Australian descendants of WW1 members of the 13th Light Horse.  The living are entitled to personal privacy, which in Australia includes their name and residential address.

The person who wrote out that list had  strong clear handwriting and used a biro/ballpoint pen so that would indicate the list was prepared long after WW1,  and after WW2 too.  Biro usage in everyday NSW households dates from late 1950s.

ADD  ... Wiki says 13th L.H. in WW2 was part of 19th, and did not leave Australia.

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
Ahh.... top of page I see the list was dated as 1939, Torquay.... I expect that would be the Torquay in Victoria, Australia.  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
Ahh.... top of page I see the list was dated as 1939, Torquay.... I expect that would be the Torquay in Victoria, Australia.  :)

JM

So I suggest this handwritten list was written out using a biro no earlier than the late 1950s and that 'Torquay 1939 13th Light Horse ' is describing the photo that the list identifies.

JM

Online matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Searching the National Archives Australia https://www.naa.gov.au/ I have found some WW2 service records that are possible matches for names on the list. Some are digitised and can be confirmed at having served in 13 Lighthorse regiment. Most that I have seen have dates of birth of between 1890 to 1910.

M