Author Topic: Mary Codd to ? Coyne Marriage  (Read 705 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Codd to ? Coyne Marriage
« on: Friday 16 October 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
The DNA test is in and I am getting Codd matchs. So now looking for a Marriage between Mary Codd and ? Coyne from 1830 to 1845. Likely places are County Wexford and County Westmeath but with the distant between these two lets say Ireland. Being a bit generous at the bottom end but 1845 is definitely the top date. At this point we have her marrying in County Westmeath.
Been sitting thinking since I wrote and there is the posibility I am wanting a Mary Coyne marriage to ? Codd.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Codd to ? Coyne Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
presuming you have already searched the free website https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

did the Codd or Coyne stay in Ireland  say 1854 to be include in the homesteads listed in Griffiths valuation see  in summary https://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php
Codd   William   Tonaphort   Kilbeggan   Westmeath
Codd   John   Ballynacarrigy Main St.   Kilbixy   Westmeath
Codd   William   Laragh   Kilcumreragh   Westmeath
Codd   William   Coola   Kilbeggan   Westmeath
Codd   William   Kilbeggan Market Square   Kilbeggan   Westmeath
Codd   William   Hallsfarm   Kilbeggan   Westmeath
Codd   William   Kilbeggan   Kilbeggan   Westmeath
Codd   William   Kilbeggan Lower Kilbeggan South   Kilbeggan   Westmeath
in Wexford too many to show
46 Coyne listed in Westmeath, NO COYNE or Coin LISTED IN WEXFORD[that is strange did they all emmigrate both ~1854
for detail see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=26&Submit.y=11&Submit=Submit&familyname=coyne&firstname=First+Name&baronyname=&countyname=WESTMEATH&unionname=&parishname=

have you seen the Codds and Coyness in 1823-37 which is an incomplete record not usegul for genealogy ties other than useful tracking down areas named people lived
start with http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=codd&firstname=&county=Wexford&parish=&townland=&search=Search
Codd      Loughnagore   Kilbeggan   Westmeath   1834
Codd      Mill Holding Kilbeggan   Kilbeggan   Westmeath   1834
Codd   Wm   Ballinsudry   Kilbeggan   Westmeath   1834
Codd   M   Ballinsudry   Kilbeggan   Westmeath   1834
Codd      Hallsfarm   Kilbeggan   Westmeath   1834
Codd   Wm   Townparks   Kilbeggan   Westmeath   1834
Codd   Abraham   Cappinrush   Rahue   Westmeath   1826
Codd   Sara   Ross   Rahue   Westmeath   1826
there are 117 Codd in Wexford eg  five
Codd   John   Knottown   Ardcavan   Wexford   1833
Codd   John   Knottown   Ardcavan   Wexford   1833
Codd   John   Ballymurry   Ballyhuskard   Wexford   1834
Codd   Jno   Aghnafin   Ballyhuskard   Wexford   1834
Codd   John   Ballyregan   Ballymore   Wexford   1833

Coyle   Chas   Fincarn   Foyran   Westmeath   1828
Coyle   Chas   Finea   Foyran   Westmeath   1828
Coyle   Chas   Finea   Foyran   Westmeath   1828
Coyle   Peter   Finea   Foyran   Westmeath   1828
Coyle   Chas   Curnacreevy   Foyran   Westmeath   1828
Coyle   Michl   Curnacreevy   Foyran   Westmeath   1828
Coyle   Patt   Foyran   Foyran   Westmeath   1828
Coyle   Michl   Clonmellon   Killua   Westmeath   1830
Coyle   Michl   Clonmellon   Killua   Westmeath   1830
Coyle   Michl   Kilrush   Killua   Westmeath   1830
Coyle   Thomas   Fulmort   Lackan   Westmeath   1824
Coyle   Hugh   Lackin   Lackan   Westmeath   1824
Coyle   Pat   Kilmore   Lickbla   Westmeath   1827
Coyle      Williamstown   St Feighin's   Westmeath   1829
Coyle   Patrick   Glassganey   Ardcavan   Wexford   1833
Coyle   Patrick   Glassganey   Ardcavan   Wexford   1833
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

What religion were this couple?

Regards

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 20 01:46 BST (UK) »
The Coynes were Catholic. Codds ? The basis behind the search is that the 1845  marriage in Westmeatth and half a dozen baptisms said Mary Codd c1821- 1884. The NZ marriage records for 3 of those baptisms and verbal history say Mary Coyne. We had always figured the Parish Priest got it wrong and then fixed in his head she was Mary Codd. An Irish DNA match who has a good knowledge of their full tree came back with Codd as the only matching name I could give.( I can take all my Irish lines back to 1780's to 1820's. )A series of baptisms in early 1820's. to Cullen / Codd  in County Wexford. They date their Mary Codd c 1800 and have tracked the Mary from those Wexford baptisms. So we are thinking my Mary Codd/Coyne was a niece and I am thinking  her marriage in 1845 was a second one. Coynes live 500m away so I am thinking Mary Codd married a Coyne. Lived at the family farm at
Griffinstown Westmeath, became a widow then remarried in 1845. Moved 500 metres away to Lowtown. My Greatgran and Siblings grew up considering the Coynes as relatives as their Mother had moved from that house to where they lived.
I have in the past waded thru the parish registers for Kinnegad and Killucan Westmeath and also before posting the Parish Register from where my match comes from. Have I waded thru every other Parish register in County Wexford, County Westmeath and County Meath. No. 
Thought I would try my luck at Rootschat.
 My net time at the moment is going thru the 1871 to 1877 Death Registers for the appropriate places where my ancestors came from. Most of them were helpfully common names.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 October 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1845 marriage you are referring to - mentioned here
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=492785.msg3501399#msg3501399
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 October 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
For information and context
Here is that wedding November 28th 1845
Michael Gilligan and Mary Cod

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635071#page/31/mode/1up

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 00:31 BST (UK) »
Marys death in 1884 is a slam dunk. Michaels is yet to come online but others cite his cause of death so must have bought the certificate. They were the gate keepers as well. Have pictures of the still intact ruins of their home. Was hoping some one could find a likely Coyne Codd marriage at the various pay sites. Their children grew up thinking Mum was a Coyne. 4 came to NZ and two went to Manchester. Other family have DNA matched to Manchester descendents. Gotta go am now the driver. Thanks Heywood.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of thoughts - I am sure this will have been said before.

Marriages usually took place in the bride’s parish.
I can see births in Kinnegad parish - all Gilligan/Codd

1853 ‘Berry’ - transcribed but could be Mary. Mother's name cannot be seen but very likely to be your family.
1854 Jane
1855 John
1857 Patk
1859 Mary

Do you have other births from 1845 - 1853?

It is unlikely that all these could be errors by the priest. If there had been a previous marriage, I would think that following records would show the birth name of the mother rather than her previous married name.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
All but one show up in the parish register. Helped that I knew the dates to look for but all are Codd. Most are absolute shockers and am amazed that the Parish Priest was able to find them for my Fathers Cousin when he WROTE to him last century sometime. The missing one I believe to be in New York. One of the Manchester Gilligans put down NY several times in census before reverting to Lowtown. I think he would have remembered the trip back to Ireland but was baptised in Kinnegad. The missing baptism is his next younger brother. Then they start again in Kinnegad.
Opps I just fibbed. Looked at my tree and I only have a picture of the house for the 1853 Mary. I am off to find it. Thank you for the heads up it looks like Berry.
If you enlarge to the max and fiddle with the filters, again Codd for the 1853 Mary.
The parish registers are one of my least favourite activities. Spent a couple of hours last night trying to find the Coynes who are still alive in 1901 in Griffinstown Patrick c1846  1901 and 1911. Peter c1851 in 1901 and Christopher c 1856 in 1901 and c 1849 in 1911. Let alone going near civil reg. Found a possible for Patrick but need to find the other 2 to be sure.
Just reread. Today was shopping day so tired to the max. James 23 Aug 1846, Eliza 15 Dec 1850. The missing is Thomas c1848
My Fathers cousin was the original  NZ researcher. The name Coyne or variants appear on 3 marriage certs in NZ and one ofJane Gilliigan's sons was alive when research began. He said Coyne. It was thought the Parish Priest got it wrong somehow in 1845 and then kept up the "mistake". When I emailed the news of a Codd DNA match "Very interesting" was the response. My heritage did a super special and then never got around to sending it off. Knew that DNA was just going to create a lot of work. Then needed to do an ancestry test so posted both off on the same day. We await the Ancestry with baited breath.