Author Topic: Irregular Border Marriages Vol II NDFHS - index check please?  (Read 512 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irregular Border Marriages Vol II NDFHS - index check please?
« on: Friday 16 October 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Does anyone else have a copy of this please?
I do, recently received from NDFHS, but I am confused and disappointed that the index at the back only goes up to the letter F.

If anyone has a copy would you mind checking to see if its just this print run, or if the transcribers did indeed get as far as F when compiling the index and then stopped? :-)

Boo

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular Border Marriages Vol II NDFHS - index check please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 20 06:54 BST (UK) »
Is this the 2004 edition?  Mine has a total of 132 numbered pages.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 20 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janis.

It 'does' say 2004, but only goes up to page 105 and the index ends at the name Fender. I thought it was odd to only have a partial index :-)

I sent an email to ask about the rest of the index and have had a reply to say they will check the Master copy at Percy House, so perhaps  they print to order?  Though as far as I am aware Percy House is closed again.
To be honest I would have preferred a link to a pdf to download rather than an actual booklet which would be simpler, and cheaper for them too. I'd probably find it easier to use as a pdf, as the print in the booklet is very small and my eyes struggle  lol, its difficult to zoom in on a printed page.

hey ho, no doubt I will get the full edition at some stage, these things happen and on the scale of things atm, not worth worrying about.

Boo

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Boo,

If your index ends at the letter F then presumably you must also be missing many pages at the beginning of the volume (due to the way it is presented as A5, i.e. folded A4).  But then I've only had mine for a few weeks so perhaps yours is an earlier edition printed differently.

I know it's not the same as being able to search yourself but feel free to ask for anything you want checking - I'm sure Janis or myself or someone else with a copy would be happy to oblige. (I also have Vol 1).

Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
That's the odd thing Jon (he he I keep checking it again in case I am having yet another senior moment!)

When I saw that the index at the back ended abruptly, I looked at the starting pages to see if any were missing and they 'look' like they are all fine but I have no way to know IF there is a batch of missing pages
:-).

Only conclusion I can come to is that unless there are a lot of pages (in a complete booklet) prior to the title page with the ISBN number at the bottom I have no idea what has happened as its definitely weird.

I have nearly worn this book out trying to suss out HOW it could have happened.
I gave up a long time wondering WHY weird stuff seems to happen to me, but I still wonder HOW :-)

But the upside is I have managed to find a couple of hitherto 'missing' marriages by searching old style - I know the time frame so looked at each page for those years  to see if I could see an entry for the surname :-)

Boo