Author Topic: Unlikely Story  (Read 915 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unlikely Story
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
I went to school off Townsend Lane - for your info that area is known as Broadway,Liverpool .
so Robert was an iron planer / Clerk / Warehouseman / Publican and deceased Cotton Worker at Georges marriage . got around a bit didn't he ..lol

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:54 BST (UK) »
Do they have books of licence holders for that area open to the public?

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 October 20 00:30 BST (UK) »
I have a great grandfather who was a barber. As was his father before him.  The story was that a ship sunk and for some reason he had not taken out insurance on the load it was carrying, which he normally did.
He remained a barber/hair dresser on all the censuses.

Eventually was looking through newspaper archives, randomly, to pass the time, and got reports of a missing ship, and name of master, and owner.  Greatgrandfather had a very common surname, more unusual first name, so a fluke that I found him.  I did not know the name of the ship, and did not even know where it had been registered, or where it sailed from, or with what, but things came together - another boatowner had a shop 2 doors away.

So see if the newspapers turn up anything.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 October 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
'The only other thing I know of the Jones is that Charlotte's father had owned a ship in Liverpool which sank, leaving the family destitute. So, in search of work, the family moved to Oldham where the mills were'.

He married in 1885 in Chadderton so was already in Oldham by then.  Children were born Oldham.
His occupation when he married was a Mechanic, later census have him with similar occupation description.  As he was obviously in employment as a mechanic when he married and living in Oldham area I wonder how he can have 'left the family destitute' and causing them to move to Oldham from Liverpool.  The only mention I can see of a -- Halsall Jones in newspapers is his brother Uriah.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 October 20 21:18 BST (UK) »
There's a William Halsall Jones, Accountant of Birkenhead mentioned in a Welsh newspaper in 1884. Noting else to note - he was in a list of individuals applying for a position

I suspect he is a cousin of George - b 1857 son of Uriah snr,