Author Topic: Photos of Chapel Street Altrincham 1840s  (Read 465 times)

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photos of Chapel Street Altrincham 1840s
« on: Friday 16 October 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
Looking to add photos to my family tree . My ancestors lived in Chapel Street Altrincham in 1840. "Can anyone recommend where i may find old images of this Street?". I believe it was a squalid place at the time , typical of working class housing.. I appreciate any support and thanks.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of Chapel Street Altrincham 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 20 16:52 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
You probably know this.
From "A CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN IN VICTORIAN TIMES ALTRINCHAM IN 1841"
New Street and Chapel Street had become filled with poor quality housing. Density of building was high, there was overcrowding and a lodging house. People were poor and the conditions unhealthy. Houses here were condemned in 1848 in Isaac Turton's report for the Board of Health only a relatively short time after they were built http://www.rootschat.com/links/01py6/

If they were demolished in 1848 then it is very unlikely there will be any photographic record, especially as they were very  poor class houses.
The photograph in the Manchester Evening News will be of the Victorian houses built later, and are shown on the 1875 Town Plan at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/376606/387655/13/100094

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
I appreciate this information Stan. The article of Altrincham in 1840s is enlightening and a good social history of the area. It would not have been a nice place to live back then , however there was a good proportion of green spaces in Altrincham . So at least one would have some fresh air ...