Author Topic: James Gilbanks  (Read 2165 times)

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Gilbanks
« on: Friday 16 October 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all, new to the site after a recommendation from a gentleman that may be a relative.

I am trying to locate a birth place or parents for a James Gilbanks allegedly born in the Cumberland area. The 1851 Census suggests he was born 1816. However future Census' and death certificate suggest he was born abt 1804.

the information I have on him is the following (listed as per documents with any relevant people);

1851 Census;
Penrith Workhouse 
William Gilbanks age:12
James Gilbanks Agricultural labourer  age: 35  born in Threlkeld Cumberland (married)
Hannah Gilbanks Agricultural labourer age:29 born in Roxburgh Scotland (married)
Benjamin Gilbanks age: 9 mnths Born in Penrith Cumberland

I believe William is a close relative to James, im unsure if the age is correct for him

In these two Census (1861 & 1871) the Surname shows as Killbanks, i believe that Hannah/Ann may have given the information for this Census and the possibility of her Scottish accent is what caused the taker to mistaken the Surname. 

1861 Census;
Newcastle Upon Tyne

James Killbanks Position: Head Linen Bleacher Age:45 Born in Matterdale Cumberland
Ann Position: wife (unable to read profession) Age: 38 Born in Scotland
Benjamin Position: Son Scholar Age:10 Born in Penrith Cumberland

Although I can read Benjamin as being born in Penrith I think some websites pick it up as a different location, Likewise with James' place of birth as some sites pick it up as Patterdale

1871 Census;
Newcastle Upon Tyne

James Killbanks Position: Head Labourer Age:54 Born in Penrith Cumberland
Ann Position: wife  Age: 46 Born in Scotland
Benjamin Position: Son Tailor Age:20 Born in Penrith Cumberland

Benjamin then married in 1877 in Camden To a Mary Ann Jobling who was from Newcastle.

The 1881 Census is in Westminster;

James Listed as John age: 77 Former Linen Bleacher Born in Scotland
Ann age:60 No profession Born in Scotland
Benjamin age: 31 Journeyman Tailor Born in Newcastle
Mary (Wife) age:25 Born in Newcastle (I was unable to read her profession)

Benjamin was Head on the 1881 Census, so I wonder if he provided the information and had no clue on where himself or his father was born? Also im not sure why James is listed as John but I did also try search for John with no joy

Other Census' I have afterwards make sense, James passed away 1886 and Ann 1893.

James' wife Hannah Gilbanks (born Reid) appears to have shortened her name to Ann after 1851. This combined with the incorrect surname of Killbanks provided a little challenging. On Benjamin's Birth certificate his mother is listed as Hannah Gilbanks (Formerly Reid) and father James Gilbanks occupation as Husbandman, residence Burrowgate Penrith.

I am aware of many Gilbanks/ Gillbanks in the Cumberland area, however i have not been able to locate James on a 1841 Census, nor have i been able to find a birth for him (the varying ages do not do me justice here either). I also tried searching for William but not knowing if the age is correct and with no other information, this was unsuccessful as there is many William Gilbanks in the Cumberland area. The same goes for John Gilbanks, this was also a very common name in the Cumberland area and given that the name changes on the same Census that ages and places of birth are different I am unsure if this is credible.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject? I do apologise if the way I have formatted this Post is not the same way as you guys commonly format yours, I have written all this out as all the Census' I have are scanned.

Also as there is varying information I felt it was important to list any notes I had made on that particular Census.

I am well aware of a Gillbanks expert on this Forum, We believe our families to be linked, however finding a link is a very different situation. I am also unable to visit any archives that are not online as I am based south of London and I do not know anyone in the area.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice given I appreciate you taking the time to read my long post

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Gilbanks
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Benjamin was older that 2mths

Benjamin Gilbanks September qtr 1850 Penrith  Volume 25 Page 153 - mothers maiden name Reid
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole!

Indeed he was, I must have entered it incorrectly. Benjamin was a bit tricky to locate any further back then London at the start, due to working from myself backwards through my ancestors only knowing my fathers and grandfathers name and place of birth, however a kind gentleman that has been helping me posted on here previously for a lookup on Benjamin. But i have been stuck at his father James for some time now

-Ross

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

I think the census image more likely shows him as 9 months, compare it with the 9 in 29 in the row above
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

I think the census image more likely shows him as 9 months, compare it with the 9 in 29 in the row above

Hi Rosie, you are correct that was my mistake, I have updated it to save confusion, however it is his father James I am struggling to Locate any information on before 1851

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 October 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Benjamin was older that 2mths

Benjamin Gilbanks September qtr 1850 Penrith  Volume 25 Page 153 - mothers maiden name Reid

Hi Carole, you are correct I do have Benjamin's birth Certificate and I must have entered it incorrectly.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 October 20 17:49 BST (UK) »
Do you have James & Hannah's marriage certificate.

Just linking the other post about this family by another rootschatter
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=836730.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 October 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
Do you have James & Hannah's marriage certificate.

Just linking the other post about this family by another rootschatter
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=836730.0

Jim has been helping me on my search, but I posted this topic as I have all the information to hand. however I have not located a marriage certificate as of yet unfortunately.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 October 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
James in 1841?

1841 Census
St Bee
William Mackreth 25 Bleacher   
Elizabeth Mackreth 50   
Elizabeth Mackreth 25   
Mary Mackreth   1   
Elizabeth Mackreth 0   
James Gilbanks   25 M S
Jane Lawson   25      
All born Cumberland

Above I found on Familysearch. Anc has him as James GILBURKS

I cant find a on line Marriage either.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)