Author Topic: Advice required re "Scholar" on Census return  (Read 550 times)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice required re "Scholar" on Census return
« on: Friday 16 October 20 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have noticed on a census return that while two other families have children recorded as "Scholar" in the relevant column, my own ancestors children, of similar ages, are recorded as "Farmer's Son or Daughter" - despite one of the other families on the return being Farmers too!  Does this indicate that my ancestors didn't attend school?  Were they privately taught?  Or doesn't it mean anything really?  I understand that some families fibbed and put that their children attended school, when they didn't, as they didn't want the powers that were, to know they were working their children!  In my case though, this would be the opposite lol.  I also understand that sometimes it was only possible to send children to school if you applied for and were granted a bursary....does anyone have any information that could shed any light on things?

Thanks for any help!

Michelle

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required re "Scholar" on Census return
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 20 06:46 BST (UK) »
A little early for compulsory education.;

https://www.schoolsmith.co.uk/history-of-education/
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 20 08:18 BST (UK) »
The most common designation for children in the census was that of "scholar", the returns should, however, be used with caution. The definition of the term "scholar" in the census instructions was vague, and became vaguer with time. There was a tendency to use scholar as a blanket term for children whether they were at school or working, as well as the not uncommon cases of "scholars" aged under five years.
In 1851 parents were to record their children as "scholars" if they were above five years of age and were" daily attending school, or receiving regular tuition under a master or governess at home." In 1861, however, regular tuition at home did not require the presence of a master or governess. In 1871 and 1881 children only needed to be "attending a school, or receiving regular instruction at home" to be returned as scholars. In 1891 there was no instruction on the subject. In 1901, however the instruction was that children attending school "and also engaged in a trade or industry should be described as following the particular trade or industry." With the advent of compulsory education after the 1876 Elementary Education Act there may also have been a temptation for some working-class householders to use the term to conceal the work of their children.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 20 08:52 BST (UK) »
A little early for compulsory education.;

https://www.schoolsmith.co.uk/history-of-education/

You could also look at Chapter 6 in "Education in England: a history" by Derek Gillard
http://www.educationengland.org.uk/history/index.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 20 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the links and information - I shall take a look at them now - I presumed it could mean that they were receiving no education :)