Author Topic: William Thomas Hammond born 28 November 1873  (Read 281 times)

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thomas Hammond born 28 November 1873
« on: Saturday 17 October 20 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have completed quite a bit of research on a William Thomas Hammond, his birth registered in the sub district of Hanover Square, Middlesex on the 28 November 1873.  His parents are a Thomas Hammond and Mary Ann Hammond, formerly Cotterill.  (I have the certificate for this and there is also a baptism record on Ancestry for this.)  Thomas Hammond was baptized in 1820 in Petworth, Sussex and Mary Ann in 1841 in Berkshire England.

I have Thomas in the 1861 Census as living in the parish of St Martin in the Fields, Middlesex, working as a Stablehand.  Thomas married Mary Ann Cotterill on Oct 29 1865 in Teesdale, Durham, Yorkshire.  Mary Ann and Thomas remained in Durham for several years and by the time the 1871 Census was taken they had moved to Norwood, Middlesex and then later to Chelsea, London where Thomas worked as a Groom and Coachman.

The children I have for Mary Ann and Thomas are:

Martha Bell (baptized May 6, 1860)  born prior to marriage of Thomas and Mary Ann therefore Thomas may not be the father.  Martha lived with her grandparents Joseph and Maria for over 10 years but then by 1881 was living in London.  In 1881 she is living with Elizabeth Maria.  Martha married a Henry Harry Harrold and then later a George Strevens.  Martha was in the London County Lunatic Asylum for a number of years.

Joseph Henry born October 10 1862 in Streatley, Berkshire.  Joseph did at the age of 12 years.  Again, not sure if Joseph is a son of Thomas.

Elizabeth Maria, bory September 17 1866 in Staindrop, Durham.  Married a Charles Reuben Charman in Chelsea in 1888.

Frances (Fanny) Ann Mary birth registered in 1868 in Teesdale, Durham.  Married Francis Herbert Brown in Chelsea in 1890.

Charlotte Sarah, baptized 1871 and married George Henry James Molyneaux in 1896 in Hampshire.

William Thomas, born November 28 1873 and married a Hannah Thick on December 24, 1893 in Chelsea.

Harriet Emma, born July 17 1875 and married a Walter Gladstone on December 26, 1904 in Chelsea.

Harry Samuel, born January 10, 1878 and married Ellen (Nellie) Greenwood on February 10, 1897 in Chelsea.

Rosa Louisa, born July 17, 1883 and married Arthur Charles Staddon on March 15, 1903 in Chelsea.

The person that I am interested in is William Thomas Hammond.  I have William Thomas marrying Hannah Thick but I am not sure if this is the correct marriage.   There are a number of things on the marriage certificate that ring bells that this is the correct marriage, but a couple of things are not correct.  Additionally the William Thomas I have followed through with Census data has varied places of birth.  I have newspaper articles stating that Hannah and William had separated and Electoral Registers have William living at 29a Tetcott Road, Chelsea from 1919 until his death in 1928.  I have a death certificate for a William Thomas and also a newspaper report that was in the paper for an inquest into the death.

I do have a Hammond tree on Ancestry.  There are a number of trees on Ancestry with William Thomas married to a Hannah Thick in them but all differ from mine.  I am starting to doubt if my research is not correct and I have things not right on my tree.

Regards Kay

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas Hammond born 28 November 1873
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 20 06:34 BST (UK) »
What are the things that are wrong on the marriage certificate?

I see that William thought he was born in Durham/Darlington on the post-marriage censuses.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 20 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hannah and William Thomas married December 24 1893.  William has his age as 23 which would give his birth year as 1870 not 1873.  Perhaps he added several years as he was younger than Hannah.  He also has his father named as William Thomas, not Thomas Hammond.  The profession of father is correct, Coachman.  One of the witnesses is Frances Brown, possibly his sister who married Francis Brown. 

I have attached the marriage certificate.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 20 06:53 BST (UK) »
Have you found the Hammonds in 1891/1901?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 20 07:03 BST (UK) »
Have you found the Hammonds in 1891/1901?

I’ve now found the parents in Chelsea - William Thomas not with them in 1891.

1891: RG12/64/161/41
1901: RG13/71/81/12

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 20 07:27 BST (UK) »
In 1891 William is living at 149 Kings Rd, Chelsea as an errand boy for a Surgeon, Joseph and Mary Cary.  He gives his birthplace as Newcastle. 

In 1901 William is married to Hannah and he is working as a Doctor's Dispenser.  His birthplace is given as Durham.  William and Hannah have 3 sons: Thomas, Walter and Leonard.

What I do find interesting is Hannah gives her residence place as 27 Milman Street on her marriage certificate.  This is where Thomas Hammond and his wife Mary Ann are living in 1891. 

Thank you for replying. 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 October 20 07:39 BST (UK) »
I think you have got the right people; it’s not unusual to find the age manipulated a bit if a husband was younger than his wife. “Frances Brown” and “27 Milman St” would clinch it for me.

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 October 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you AVM228,  I was really starting to doubt if I had the correct William Thomas who married Hannah Thick. 

Regards Kaybron