Author Topic: Can you identify people on old photos for Local Studies Dept?  (Read 794 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you identify people on old photos for Local Studies Dept?
« on: Saturday 17 October 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
https://mobile.twitter.com/NorthTyneLibs/status/1315291375504707585?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Eprofile%3ANorthTyneLibs%7Ctwcon%5Etimelinechrome&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcapitadiscovery.co.uk%2Fnorthtyneside%2Fhome

North Shields local studies have some photos of people taken by local photographer H Sawyer of North Shields & others. (See images on this long link)

Staff would be interested to know if anyone might be able to identify anyone on these images.  If you can, they would like you to contact the local studies by phone or email.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can you identify people on old photos for Local Studies Dept?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 04:34 BST (UK) »
Erm .... It would be helpful if there were some indication on that Local Studies website of the time frame in which that photographer was active. I've taken a quick boo and decided those photos are all too recent to include any of my lot.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 20 23:17 BST (UK) »
I am not sure about the other photographers but I believe photographer H Sawyer was quite active from the 1860s and died in 1896.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 20 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, River Tyne Lass.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 20 08:11 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Westoe.  I have spoken to staff at the local studies and they have said this is but a very small sample and that they have a great many unidentified photos of people and places.

It might be worth your popping along at some point, you never know, perhaps you might be able to identify one of your ancestors there.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 20 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Oh! Don't I wish, River Tyne Lass! It's been 45 years since I was last in the UK. Now I am a caregiver, old and frail myself and can't travel. But ... smile ... family history is an ever-ending hobby, so no use fretting over the things that I can't do now. I'm still having fun with what I can do.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 10:06 GMT (UK) »
What!  You haven't been in England for 45 years! :o And here's me all these years thinking you were just over the water in South Shields.  I thought it would be nothing for you to pop over on the ferry.  I thought you were a Westoe lad .. maybe you were once, I suspect?  Where are you now?   ..  Eh lad!  How could you leave lovely Tyneside! ;)
Well anyway, I like your philosophy to focus on the fun of what can be done rather than what can't be done.  I agree family history is a never ending hobby  - I think I'll be at it until it's time to push up the daisies.  ;D

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Well, we were "Westoe folk" until a mere 154 years ago - a long line of mariners, masters, sailmakers, chandlers, ship-brokers etc. One lot of paternal great-grandparents and children emigrated to central Canada in 1866 and I'm still here - thousands of miles from original sources. So, I Bless the Internet!! tho' I sometimes think that The National Archives and National Maritime Museum own more of this house than we do.

Cheers,
Westoe