Author Topic: Help finding a Birth before 1837  (Read 1420 times)

Offline hemselld

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a Birth before 1837
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 October 20 18:16 BST (UK) »
Newton may not be her maiden name, she would not have had to give any proof of her name when the birth was registered.  Did she register the birth or was it her supposed husband
She registered it

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 October 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
Have you found her or William on the 1881 census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hemselld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 October 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
Have you found her or William on the 1881 census?
Not his mum, but he is now married to Rachel formerly Bostock and now living in Ilkeston which is just up the rd from Sandiacre where a similar William born In Nottinhill with his mum Sarah from Ealing registered as the wife of Francis Robert Thurston, for whom no marriage cert exists and Francis was living with his mum in 186o in Suffolk. All baffling

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 October 20 12:06 BST (UK) »
Possibly of interest.  James and Rachael Gough have two daughters born after civil registration began, both are with them on the 1851 census. One (I'm unsure of her name; it looks like Rachael, but also looks different from her mother's name) aged 11 and Eliza aged 9. Both born in Ealing, which is in Brentford district.

GRO index shows a Rachel Gough Mmn Newton registered Dec Q 1837 in Brentford district, and a death of a Rachel Gough age 0 in March Q 1838.   In September Q there is an unnamed female Gough child Mmn Newton registered.  Eliza remains elusive, unfortunately - but at this early time not all births were registered.

James and Rachael Gough name their birthplaces as Heath, Oxfordshire, and Hughendon, Buckinghamshire respectively. 
A Rachel Newton daughter of Thomas and Rachel was baptised at Hughendon  on 17 April 1801 (Rachael is aged 50 in 1851).

I can't see a marriage, but if it was in Buckinghamshire, it may not be online.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 October 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Good find Gallium  :)

I think that is very likely to be why the name Newton was being used as a maiden name, it is not the first time that I have seen illegitimate births being registered with their maternal grandmothers surname being given as a maiden name.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 October 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
Baptism of Sarah Gough born 30 March 1835 daughter of James and Rachel at West Twyford, Ealing on 10 May 1835.  James is a victualler, as he is in baptism records of his and Rachel's other children at West Twyford or Ealing, including the two Rachels, and Eliza.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hemselld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 October 20 12:29 BST (UK) »
Baptism of Sarah Gough born 30 March 1835 daughter of James and Rachel at West Twyford, Ealing on 10 May 1835.  James is a victualler, as he is in baptism records of his and Rachel's other children at West Twyford or Ealing, including the two Rachels, and Eliza.
Thank you I will look into this, it certainly is a mine field

Offline hemselld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 October 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
Possibly of interest.  James and Rachael Gough have two daughters born after civil registration began, both are with them on the 1851 census. One (I'm unsure of her name; it looks like Rachael, but also looks different from her mother's name) aged 11 and Eliza aged 9. Both born in Ealing, which is in Brentford district.

GRO index shows a Rachel Gough Mmn Newton registered Dec Q 1837 in Brentford district, and a death of a Rachel Gough age 0 in March Q 1838.   In September Q there is an unnamed female Gough child Mmn Newton registered.  Eliza remains elusive, unfortunately - but at this early time not all births were registered.

James and Rachael Gough name their birthplaces as Heath, Oxfordshire, and Hughendon, Buckinghamshire respectively. 
A Rachel Newton daughter of Thomas and Rachel was baptised at Hughendon  on 17 April 1801 (Rachael is aged 50 in 1851).

I didn't know that, certainly something I can follow up, it's quite possible she didn't give the correct address of birth as it was in St James street kensington, and I was told it was a posh area

Offline hemselld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 October 20 12:37 BST (UK) »

Thank you for this, I really do appreciate it and everyone elses hard work, now searching this all up, thank you